Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Type 99 arisaka for $200. Good deal? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/type-99-arisaka-200-good-deal-77622/)

Gizord1 12-03-2012 07:13 PM

Type 99 arisaka for $200. Good deal?

Local guy is selling a type 99 arisaka for $200.
From what I have seen with these rifles, this is a deal. I have been textin back and forth, and it seems that it fires fine. Presumably, he still has some ammo that comes with it. Is this a good deal I should get?

Trez 12-03-2012 07:41 PM

Why not? :)

Has it been sporterized? Does it still have the "Mum"? What kind of ammo is it?

Ive spent between $200-$300 on the Type 99's I bought. They were non-sporters with mums.

Gizord1 12-03-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trez
Why not? :)

Has it been sporterized? Does it still have the "Mum"? What kind of ammo is it?

Ive spent between $200-$300 on the Type 99's I bought. They were non-sporters with mums.

It has no mum, it's not sporterized, it's 7.7mm jap, and I think I'm goin to get it.

303tom 12-04-2012 12:19 AM

All depends on condition, pictures would help...........

ScottA 12-04-2012 12:42 AM

No mum? I thought all Arisaka's were supposed to be stamped with the mum.

pagj17 12-04-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 1037657)
No mum? I thought all Arisaka's were supposed to be stamped with the mum.

As a symbol of the emperor, soldiers would do their damndest to remove the mum, iirc.

Jpyle 12-04-2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pagj17

As a symbol of the emperor, soldiers would do their damndest to remove the mum, iirc.

The mums were ground off of the rifles surrendered after the war. In Japanese culture the mums symbolized the Emperor and surrendering your leader to the enemy was frowned upon.

Gizord1 12-04-2012 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 303tom
All depends on condition, pictures would help...........

I was sent pics, and it looks to be in good condition. It comes with 20 rounds of ammo. The only special part about it, is it has the flip up "aircraft" sights. No dust cover, bayonet, mono/bipod, shortened hand guard, scope, or cleaning rod. Just a simple arisaka

kfox75 12-04-2012 05:55 AM

I'd say go for it. The only hassle I could see is findint ammo for it. There are enough people on here that have one, so they can probably help in that department. I almost never see it around here, but I know that it's still available somewhere. My uncle and I Keep our brass and reload it, but one of our LGS get it in from time to time.

Gizord1 12-04-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfox75
I'd say go for it. The only hassle I could see is findint ammo for it. There are enough people on here that have one, so they can probably help in that department. I almost never see it around here, but I know that it's still available somewhere. My uncle and I Keep our brass and reload it, but one of our LGS get it in from time to time.

I attend a military collectors show twice a year, and I know some of those locals have some. I also know a couple guys that reload a lot, so I suppose if I could get the dies and the bullets (I read that .303 British bullets are actually better than factory loads), then no problem.