Turk Mauser - Bad bore/rifling - What to do?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Turk Mauser - Bad bore/rifling - What to do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2014, 02:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Turk Mauser - Bad bore/rifling - What to do?

Well today I discovered the bore is pretty pitted and the rifling is worn. I can see from chamber end the barrel is shiny; from the muzzle end, well you get the idea. So basically some of the barrel looks good and the rest is crap.

So now Id like to know my options. If enough of the barrel is intact I can counter bore, but that's a shot in the dark. If enough of the barrel is good then I could cut it down and sporterize it. Then there's getting another barrel, but that's too much to keep a not so common caliber. Another is to re-barrel to .308, which is something Id love to do.

Now Im nothing more than a mechanically inclined individual; far from being a smith. That said, as far as I know, all that needs be done to convert to .308 is change the barrel. From what reading Ive done, some Turk receivers are large ring type with small ring threads. This in turn makes the barrel harder to find?

Opinions? Input? What would you do?

Last edited by SouthSeaPirate; 11-10-2014 at 02:55 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-10-2014, 03:33 AM   #2

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

The logical first step would be to shoot it and see if it shoots OK. This unless you DO want to re-barrel it. It could shoot just fine the way it is- - or not. There is only one way to find out.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

People Like This 
Old 11-10-2014, 04:20 AM   #3

Liked 401 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 552

Barreling a mauser is a job for your gunsmith. The barrels are mostly sold short chambered and will need to be finished up in a lathe to insure proper headspace. That said there are LOTS of options to rebarrel other calibers. Take a look at http://www.brownells.com/
check under "Mauser Barrel", hope this helps.

Also check:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ &
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-10-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Warlock999 Likes This 
Old 11-10-2014, 05:37 AM   #4

Liked 547 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 1330

i have to agree about re-barreling the rifle. not a DIYer type job at the house without the skills and the equipment to do the job. also depends on the current value of the rifle in it's present condition whether re-barreling would be a good option either. might be better to sell it and buy one with a better bore to begin with. re-barreling that rifle is not going to be cheap, whether you buy an older barrel in good condition or buying a new one. two things could happen, either you would be destroying it's value by re-barreling, or the cost would far exceed the value of the rifle to begin with.

my suggestion would be to sell it and buy another one with a good bore, or buy a rifle in a caliber you like.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1344 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 1446

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSeaPirate View Post
Well today I discovered the bore is pretty pitted and the rifling is worn. I can see from chamber end the barrel is shiny; from the muzzle end, well you get the idea. So basically some of the barrel looks good and the rest is crap.

So now Id like to know my options. If enough of the barrel is intact I can counter bore, but that's a shot in the dark. If enough of the barrel is good then I could cut it down and sporterize it. Then there's getting another barrel, but that's too much to keep a not so common caliber. Another is to re-barrel to .308, which is something Id love to do.

Now Im nothing more than a mechanically inclined individual; far from being a smith. That said, as far as I know, all that needs be done to convert to .308 is change the barrel. From what reading Ive done, some Turk receivers are large ring type with small ring threads. This in turn makes the barrel harder to find?

Opinions? Input? What would you do?

I would check the head space & if OK then I would shoot a box of shells through it & go from there !................

When all else fails.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

http://www.troupsystems.com/mauser%20308%20barrels.htm

I was checking out this.
If I need a smith I'd rather sell it for parts really. I was hoping I could do it myself. I honestly cannot remember the last time I paid for service for anything other than food...
Old 11-10-2014, 11:51 PM   #7

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I would try to clean the barrel thoroughly

first. Try Janitor's ammonia 1:3 with water

to break free any cppper and lead fouling.

Then Dawn dish detergent. Finally some

automatic transmission fluid, in a couple

of overnight barrel (inside the barrel only)

soaks.

Then try to see if you can shoot any accurate

groups. Decide if the accuracy is acceptable then.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:58 AM   #8
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1782 Times on 1100 Posts
Likes Given: 9917

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I would try to clean the barrel thoroughly

first. Try Janitor's ammonia 1:3 with water

to break free any cppper and lead fouling.

Then Dawn dish detergent. Finally some

automatic transmission fluid, in a couple

of overnight barrel (inside the barrel only)

soaks.

Then try to see if you can shoot any accurate

groups. Decide if the accuracy is acceptable then.
This, ^^

If you find it is a good shooter, keep it as is. If nothing else, truck gun.

If you find that it should be nicknamed "Lightning", (never hits the same spot twice) strip it down, and part it out. I would keep the action to do a sporter build if that was the case, but, un the end, the choice is yours.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

therewolf Likes This