Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Trying to remember my first rifle. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/trying-remember-my-first-rifle-74825/)

Solon 10-22-2012 06:38 AM

Trying to remember my first rifle.

When I was 12 in the Sixties, and getting my first deer rifle, my dad bought a very used mil surplus from Big 5 for dirt cheap. It was a laContessora, leContassoura or something similar. It was supposed to be a French Foreign Legion from the early 1900's. Or maybe that was just the model year: 1907 or 1909. It was a 7 or 9mm. with a cartridge the size of a carrot. It was wood all the way to the front sight and looong. We tied it to a tree and pulled the trigger with a rope the first time we fired it, in case it exploded. It had seen some very hard use. I used it a few times before trading up to a .303Enfield MK4.
Can anyone ID what I'm talking about? Just the right name will get on track.

batjka 10-22-2012 10:23 AM

Was it a bolt action? Magazine fed? Single shot? Some more info, please.

batjka 10-22-2012 10:27 AM

The only thing that comes to mind would be a La Coruna Spanish Mauset in 7mm. Hope this helps.

c3shooter 10-22-2012 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 65971

Spanish Mauser, made in Coruna Spain.

LongBaller71 10-22-2012 12:53 PM

My first was a stock loaded Remington Nylon 66 22lr.

crazycharlie2 10-22-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 985370)
When I was 12 in the Sixties, and getting my first deer rifle, my dad bought a very used mil surplus from Big 5 for dirt cheap. It was a laContessora, leContassoura or something similar. It was supposed to be a French Foreign Legion from the early 1900's. Or maybe that was just the model year: 1907 or 1909. It was a 7 or 9mm. with a cartridge the size of a carrot. It was wood all the way to the front sight and looong. We tied it to a tree and pulled the trigger with a rope the first time we fired it, in case it exploded. It had seen some very hard use. I used it a few times before trading up to a .303Enfield MK4.
Can anyone ID what I'm talking about? Just the right name will get on track.

Cartridge the sixe of a carrot:D That cracks me up!

303tom 10-22-2012 01:36 PM

My first rifle was a Model 1890 Winchester .22, My first deer rifle was a Enfield No4, My first shotgun was a H&R single barrel 20 gauge & I still have all three of them................

winds-of-change 10-22-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 985370)
We tied it to a tree and pulled the trigger with a rope the first time we fired it, in case it exploded.

I find this funny and very creative all at the same time. :)

Solon 10-22-2012 07:20 PM

More info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by batjka (Post 985410)
Was it a bolt action? Magazine fed? Single shot? Some more info, please.

I'm a little hazy after nearly fifty years, but it definitely wasn't any variety of Mauser. It was bolt action and I think the magazine was internal. The barrel engravings were in French not Spanish, and some variant of "le Contessura." Big 5 Sporting Goods literally had them by the barrel full for $69.95 or some ridiculously cheap price. I remember the cartridge so well because I was used to the slim 30-06 my dad and uncles used. I think the rear of the case was the size of a quarter, but that just may be the twelve year old thinking. It had flip up rear sights like a ladder. I think it was meant for picking off your target at a 1000yds across the dunes. Ammunition was expensive and hard to find. I doubt I put fifty rounds thru it before I got my .303 Enfield Mk4. It had already been Sportserized with a new stock and scope. I thought it was the best rifle ever made.

Solon 10-22-2012 07:53 PM

I don't think that's it. Wish you had a top view.

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 985457)
Attachment 65971

Spanish Mauser, made in Coruna Spain.

I'm about 95% certain it wasn't a Mauser clone. The wood went almost to the front sight blade. There was no rod below the barrel, or mine was missing when we bought it. I doubt that, because I remember Dad picking and choosing to get the one in the best shape. There was a built in compartment in the buttplate which I think held a cleaning kit at one time.