Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Trapdoor Carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1459 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default Trapdoor Carbine

I have posted some pictures of this gun in another thread but I wanted to give it a thread of its own. I bought this gun several years ago because the guy selling it only wanted a couple hundred bucks for it. I just figured I would put it in the vault and maybe try to clean it up one rainy day. A few of months ago I decided to bite the bullet (so to speak) and try to find someone to restore it as much as possible. I settled on the guys at "The Old Gun Doctor" in Cambridge, IN. I had to wait 3 or 4 months for them to catch up on their work before sending them the gun which I did about a month ago. I got my first project update yesterday and this is what Jeff had to say.

Dear Sir,

Wanted to let you know we have your project completely stripped down and that ugly front sight removed from the front of the barrel. In researching the serial number to find the correct parts. It appears this is a model that was made in 1879 and shipped directly to the Louisiana state volunteers as a full length rifle. Sometime later in its life it was cut down to the carbine length as many of them were. So we are searching for the correct period parts.

Till next time,

Jeff @ OGD

Jeff did recommend that I only shoot black powder loads in it which is what I intend to do. I just need to come up with a load that's as close to what the ammo of the period was as possible. I have asked Jeff if possible could he take a few pictures through out the project and if he can I will update this thread from time to time. Following is what the gun looked like when he got it.

20130507_133453.jpg   20130507_133816.jpg   img_3111.jpg   img_3114.jpg   img_3116.jpg  

img_3117.jpg   img_3119.jpg   img_3126.jpg   img_3128.jpg   img_3130.jpg  

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

phideaux Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #2

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm a jealous bastard...

Old 12-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

All the parts you need are quite easy to find and most are available from S&S frearms and trapdoorcollector.com. If it takes more than 30 days to complete the project, they are dragging their feet. Please post some detailed pictures when you get it back.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketshooter View Post
All the parts you need are quite easy to find and most are available from S&S frearms and trapdoorcollector.com. If it takes more than 30 days to complete the project, they are dragging their feet. Please post some detailed pictures when you get it back.
I will and thanks for the info.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 12-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #5

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have several original "saddle ring" carbines and shoot them often with black powder and a light Unique load. Remember that in 1876 the Army used a heavy loading for rifles and a lighter charge for carbines, so with your cut down a lighter charge will definitely be easier to shoot. The restoration process will render collector interest to a minimum but should make it a fun shooter.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #6

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Original rifle and carbine loads were 70 grains of bp with a 500 grain bullet. Later carbine loads were reduced to 55 grains of bp and a 405 grain bullet. If you use the light loads you will need to use a wad under the bullet so the powder gets compressed.

Quote:
The restoration process will render collector interest to a minimum but should make it a fun shooter.
Its already a cut down rifle so there is no collector interest anyway.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 12-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I already cast 405 gr. +/- bullets depending on the alloy. I usually use 9 lbs. of clip on wheel weights and 1 lb. 50/50 bar solder so thats what I'll be loading. I'll just be punching holes in paper so light loads will be more fun anyway. Not like I will be fighting the Battle of Greasy Grass again. I knew their wasn't much collecters interest anyway because of the condition. I'll have way more in it than it worth (story of my life) but I want to leave it better than I found it. Thanks for the advice.