Took a few new pictures of some of my Pinfire collection - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Took a few new pictures of some of my Pinfire collection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 04:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Those are great! Thanks for posting the pics. Ever fire any of them?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 04-07-2011, 05:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Those are great! Thanks for posting the pics. Ever fire any of them?
I have bought kits to make re loadable 7mm pinfire cartridges and fired them in some of my other 7mm pinfire revolvers (not pictured.)

I also bought a box of newly made 12mm pinfire ammo by some cartridge reloader in Florida but have not got to fire them yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Very cool!!

Hey, can you hunt hamster with that 2mm?
Nah..they are more for hunting mosquitoes.

Actually everything pictured there are blanks and guns made for blanks. Back toward the late 1800s and early 1900s some guns were actually made to fire 2mm pinfire ball cartridges.

I have one factory live cartridge from then too. (I have many 2mm blanks with shot shoved in that most think is a live cartridge)

This is the only variety of a genuine factory loaded 2mm cartridge that I think exists. Below are its specifications from an SFM(Societe Francaise des Munitions) Factory Drawing dated September 1900. It shows their specifications for their cartridge for the antique "Pistolet-Mouche" revolver. Notice too that the diameter of the cartridge is slightly smaller at 1.9mm than most 2mm cartridges which are normally right over 2mm in diameter. Also, notice that the ball is 1.7mm. The #9 shot shoved into blank cartridges that most people find and think is a live cartridge is 2.03mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Wow sweet! i have some pinfires but none of the ammo...
I have some for sale if anyone is interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadville View Post
WoW! I see the revolvers now and then but full boxes of ammo, never. Very very nice.
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. And I have a lot more where these came from. I will post more some time.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:56 AM   #13

OK.. Here are a few cool cartridges in my collection:

This is one of the very first pinfire revolver cartridges. Shotgun cartridges came about 10 years before. and about 5, 10 years after the patent for the all metal case by Houllier-Blanchard gave us our "modern" pinfire.

This is the earliest US-made paper shotshell. It is a 10 gauge pinfire shotshell that was made by C. D. Leet of Springfield, MA in the early 1860s. More info on this at: Earliest US Shotshell, by C. D. Leet of Springfield, MA

Translation:

Quote:
A Cartridge Loaded With Fireworks

These cartridges fire fireworks and do not cause any recoil so they can be safely used by ladies and children.
These cartridges must be fired into the air where they rise 200 meters.
At this height the Flares explode into Firecrackers producing a very loud bang, the shower of stars are produced by a small explosion and are divided into a number of star-shapes in multiple colors falling like a parachute producing the most beautiful effect.
These cartridges allow fireworks to be shot by anyone with a cane gun, a revolver, a rifle or shotgun to offer his friends or guests, and this cheap distraction is very original and enjoyable providing the illusion of fireworks.

This pinfire rifle cartridge was made by Fabrique Gevelot of Paris, France. It was made for the Swiss Trials of 1865-67. The string wrap worked as a bullet patch.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #14
RGH

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Greetings, Aaron,

A superb collection to be mighty proud of. Thank you for sharing.

Boy, I love these old guns.....
RGH

Old 01-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #15

Default pinfires

You say you have "what" for sale?
Pinfire revolvers etc
or
pinfire shells?
Don

Old 03-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #16

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I picked up a nickle plated, 6 shot pinfire revolver in 9mm at a local gun show several months ago. The gun is in EXCELLENT condition and operates perfectly. I was also able to research a fair amount of information about it and discovered from a proof mark on the cylinder that the revolver was made in the city of Liège, Belgium and "ELG" is the proof mark used by this city from 1811 until 1893. It also has the letter "L" with a crown above it showing it was made between 1853 and January 1877. I thought it was interesting that on the "Sons of Guns" TV episode that aired a few weeks earlier, one of the featured spots was a man wanting the shop to find ammo for his pinfire revolver. The guys ultimately just made up a batch for the customer when they couldn't locate any. I was also a bit surprised when they were discussing how rare the guns are suppose to be yet there were three at the gunshow in January (that I saw), I picked the best one and all were selling $250 or less. Mine was marked at $250 and the seller dropped the price $50 when I started counting out twenty dollar bills.

pinfire1.jpg   pinfire2.jpg  

Old 03-16-2012, 02:48 AM   #17

rachilders,

To people who only are familiar with modern guns, all antique guns seem super rare.

But the one pinfire featured on Sons of Guns was an extra rare one though.

Also, I am the one (the "some guy online" they found) that they bought the pinfire cartridges from that they remade. We actually recorded a couple takes of a whole convo with Charlie and I on the phone, but it did not end up making the show.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:52 AM   #18

Also, while this topic got moved back up front, here are a few more cool images:

Old 03-16-2012, 04:47 AM   #19

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Interesting. To think, you were almost a TV star! BTW, I found a website that sells ammo for pinfire revolvers and shotguns. It's not made exactly the same as original pinfire ammo, but looks the same and it works... http://hlebooks.com/pinfire/pin01.htm

Old 03-16-2012, 05:15 AM   #20

Yes, I am familiar with them.

They are actually a reseller for the manufacturer of them: http://www.hc-collection.com/. I have their 7mm and 12mm kits. They usually work really well. It makes it totally worth the money to be able to shoot these antique guns that haven't been fired since around the civil war!