Tokarov Grips
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Tokarov Grips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Tokarov Grips

I just picked up a Yugo M57 Tokarov. After a few hours of detail stripping and cosmoline removal the pistol is in excellent condition. The only defect is that one of the grips will not seat properly and slides up and down. The slide clip is moved all the way over but does not have enough tension to hold the grip in place. Do any of you Tokarov gurus have a fix for this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Unfortunately the spring is integral to the grip panels. If you can figure out a way to retension the spring, you'll be good to go. Aside from that it appears you may have to go with new grips... What probably happened was someone pried up on the spring rather than slide it over to remove the grip panel(s).

Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #3

Liked 1652 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Unfortunately the spring is integral to the grip panels. If you can figure out a way to retension the spring, you'll be good to go. Aside from that it appears you may have to go with new grips... What probably happened was someone pried up on the spring rather than slide it over to remove the grip panel(s).
A google search might provide you with a new set of grips, though I am not sure about that. The grip latch is the weakest feature on that pistol and a lot of people are looking for grips they ruined by not realizing, and not bothering finding out, how the grips are removed.

If I were unable to re-tension the spring without breaking he brittle grips, I would be tempted to expoxy the one side in place.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

There is a company called Marshalgrips.com based in Europe that sells custom grips for just about any pistol/revolver. They are slow but their product is amazing. I ordered a set of grips for my CZ82 and although it took forever to get them, I was very pleased when they got to me.

I second what Chainfire said about using epoxy but ONLY as a last resort since it could prove almost impossible to remove if the need ever arose. The springs are press fit into the grip panels so it may be poss. to remove by pressing the spring out and retensioning it and then epoxy it back in place. But like Chainfire said, the grip panel may be brittle so be careful.

Good luck and keep us posted..

Last edited by TheOldMan; 09-09-2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #5

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebramochaman
i just picked up a yugo m57 tokarov. After a few hours of detail stripping and cosmoline removal the pistol is in excellent condition. The only defect is that one of the grips will not seat properly and slides up and down. The slide clip is moved all the way over but does not have enough tension to hold the grip in place. Do any of you tokarov gurus have a fix for this?

image-365110051.jpg

Old 09-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Pics of my CZ82 with the new grips.. I decided to leave the finish in the white rather than reblue or "paint" it as was the case when I bought it ... It's held up very well and is one of my prized posesions..

dsc00141.jpg   dsc00142.jpg  

Old 09-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #7

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts

Nice pistol man.
Enjoy it, CZ has a good rep.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF View Post
Not trying to be a smart butt "BUT", It's gonna be kinda hard to post a pic of the deffective spring since it's inside the grip frame

Old 09-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF View Post
Nice pistol man.
Enjoy it, CZ has a good rep.
Thanks and you're right, it's an amazing shooter.. I posted this so that the OP could see what he could expect from this company ... Couple of brothers own/operate it and they do amazing work..

Old 09-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the suggestions. Its really a shame that someone buggered the grip since the condition of the pistol is excellent but I will check out that European company. That CZ-82 looks amazing with those grips.
So far I have only shot the Bulgarian surplus ammo I bought with the gun and I am underwelmed with the accuracy. I guess I will have to spring for some better production ammo or go for some new brass so that I can load my own (One more caliber to deal with).
I did bring my CZ-82 to the range with the Tok to test out my first batch or reloads for that caliber. I trimmed some 9mm Luger cases to spec and loaded 95gr XTP's over 3.2gr of tightgroup. All I can say is WOW. This may have been too hot for the gun but it did shoot straight on with considerable authority. Forget about the bunny fart Russian ammo. Reloading for this caliber is the way to go. I will back off a little bit on the powder for my next batch.