Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Thinking of getting my C&R license.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Thinking of getting my C&R license.

Ive been doing some research on obtaining an license for collecting C&R firearms. Seems like it is worth having.

Now I very rarely Travel out of state for gun shows as I know I wouldn't be able to purchase a firearm out of my residential state. Am I understanding correctly that with the license, I am able to purchase a firearm within the ATF guidelines for What they consider a C&R firearm?
The C&R also allows me to have said weapons shipped to my doorstep without the middle man of an FFL?

I'm sure my questions seem simply answered if I would search a little more on the ATF web site, bit I am doing this from my phone because of my computer not working at the moment. The phone doesn't allow me to view some files.

What are some benefits that you enjoy personally from holding a C&R license?
What is the cost of the license, And does it cost an annual fee?
How long is it valid for?

I did search through the forum for some answers, but as I mentioned, it is a little troublesome from a cell phone (don't hate me).

Thanks

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3626

I've bought 3 CZ82s......1 P1 Walther and 1 Mosin Nagant.
I bought from 3 online retailers. SOG, AIM, and Widners.
Yes the Guns are shipped to your house.
I feel the C&R License has already paid for itself. I believe it cost me around $35.00.
No anual fee. I can't remember how long before renual. Seem like it was 3 years. But I may be wrong.

Last edited by towboater; 04-26-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3626

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/looking-c-r-guns-look-here-51008/

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/cr.htm#13353989609051&ifh=44

Last edited by towboater; 04-26-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8430 Times on 3656 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

$30 for 3 years.

I am waiting right now for UPS to bring me another Mossberg 44US from the seller, in Utah. Yes, C&R guns get delivered to your door. One of our members alerted me to a dealer in Maine with a rifle I wanted (on New Years Eve) Called dealer new years day, gave him credit card, emailed him copy of my license. 3 days later, rifle on doorstep.

Buying locally- no pay for background check, no form 4473. Sign copy of my license, hand to dealer along with ID and money. Done.

Companies like Brownells and Numrich give you discount.

You will recoup the $30 first time you do not pay a FFL transfer fee. You will stay broke as well. Happy, but broke.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 04-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
$30 for 3 years.

I am waiting right now for UPS to bring me another Mossberg 44US from the seller, in Utah. Yes, C&R guns get delivered to your door. One of our members alerted me to a dealer in Maine with a rifle I wanted (on New Years Eve) Called dealer new years day, gave him credit card, emailed him copy of my license. 3 days later, rifle on doorstep.

Buying locally- no pay for background check, no form 4473. Sign copy of my license, hand to dealer along with ID and money. Done.

Companies like Brownells and Numrich give you discount.

You will recoup the $30 first time you do not pay a FFL transfer fee. You will stay broke as well. Happy, but broke.
Does the background fee get waived for all purchases or just the C&R?

@towboater, thanks for the great links and info.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 04-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #6

Likes Given: 1

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/curios-relics/

UrbanNinja, here's the BATFE C&R page, complete with links to FAQ's and lists of guns that qualify. The fee is $30 for three years and it takes about a month to receive your license. As long as you have a clean criminal record and your local sheriff doesn't suspect you of any wrongdoing, it should be no problem. Just don't let them know you use a forum name like "UrbanNinja."

Old 04-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
Does the background fee get waived for all purchases or just the C&R?

@towboater, thanks for the great links and info.
I want to say that it's waived for ALL purchases considering that you have already had the background check through BATF and notified chief LEO that you are going to be an FFL holder for C&R firearms. But submit to C3 to confirm that...

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 04-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8430 Times on 3656 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

For guns that are NOT C&R, you go thru same process as any other person, including background check (and pay the fee)

In addition to the guns on the C&R list published by BATFE, any firearm that is in orginal condition and is 50 years old or older is a C&R. Not that the MODEL has been made for 50 years, but the specific gun in hand is 50 yrs old. A 50 year old Marlin 39A is C&R. 49 year old Marlin 39A is NOT (but will be next year)

Original condition- a 1903 Springfield made in 1920 had a damaged stock. Has had a new 1903 stock put on- still C&R. Stock has been replaced with a Monte Carlo synthetic stock- NOT a C&R.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 04-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
For guns that are NOT C&R, you go thru same process as any other person, including background check (and pay the fee)

In addition to the guns on the C&R list published by BATFE, any firearm that is in orginal condition and is 50 years old or older is a C&R. Not that the MODEL has been made for 50 years, but the specific gun in hand is 50 yrs old. A 50 year old Marlin 39A is C&R. 49 year old Marlin 39A is NOT (but will be next year)

Original condition- a 1903 Springfield made in 1920 had a damaged stock. Has had a new 1903 stock put on- still C&R. Stock has been replaced with a Monte Carlo synthetic stock- NOT a C&R.
Thank you sir for clearing that up .. I thought maybe I'd missed something since I still fill out paperwork when buying new.. Also did it with C&R firearms but now know better

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 04-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The nice thing about a C&R is that it makes your life so much easier, so long as you stick to 50 y/o weapons. You don't have to worry about reselling to keep your license as is the case with an FFL. You collect Curio & Relic classified firearms, period. And c3 is correct as usual. You cannot use your C&R for modern firearms.

There are people that have C&Rs that do not know that modernized and/or sporterized old guns lose their classification. Glad you mentioned that also, c3.