Thinking about a mosin?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Thinking about a mosin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 67 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Default Thinking about a mosin?

I see a lot of guys with the Mosin-Nagants, and they seem to enjoy the the guns, Have seen them around town for $90 to $125. Passed up a nice one at the last gun show for 125, bought a M24/47 8mm Mauser instead ( wife had a fit when she caught me cleaning the cosmolene out in the tub in the spare bath, but it was cold outside ). Would like some advice on what to look for on the Mosins. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #2

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

These guys have always been good to deal with.
Mosin Nagant
As are these guys..
RGUNS - Bolt Action Rifles
You will hear that Tula guns are better, From a shooting standpoint that is not true.
I ordered a hex receiver 91/30 for a friend a while back. He received a Izhevsk 1926 Ex-Dragoon that still had the original barrel w/ the old pre hammer and sickle stamp and the original stock w/ brass end caps. It was in perfect condition. I'm not sure how it escaped ever going into service in WW2. The sights were upgraded to 91/30 specs at some time. 1926 was the last year the Dragoon was made. He paid $99.00 shipped. I have Tula and Izhevsk, hex and round receivers. Accuracy is about the same w/ them all. Except for my post war PU sniper. The best 91/30 I have is a 1938 Izhevsk round receiver Finn capture from the Winter war. It is odd because it is still in 91/30 configuration. The only modifications I can find is the front sight post was ground in the back and is slightly longer then my Soviet rifles and the trigger was been modified in some way that makes it smoother. The red Soviet shellac is gone and it was oiled in typical Finn fashion.
You really can't go wrong w/ any of them. There are many that were re-arsenaled and are like new. Shy away from a counter bored rifle although I did have one and it was an exceptional shooter. Make sure the numbers match!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the input, what do i need to look at when you said "counter bored" ?

Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

They're great and stout rifles. They are fairly accurate and ammo's still pretty cheap.

About counter-boring: if you look in the muzzle, the rifling should come all the way to the end of the barrel. If it stops a bit back from the crown, it's been counter-bored. The muzzles and crowns got pretty beat up, so counter-boring helped restore accuracy. But, if it's been counter-bored, it's been restored more or less to combat accuracy, however a non counter-bored model will generally be more accurate.

These are not target/tack driving rifles. They were designed to be used by Russian peasants to kill enemies, not to win matches.

If you buy one, make sure that the numbers match. The reason for that is that the parts are original to the rifle and have mated together over the years. Matching numbers don't really add anything to the value, it just makes for a better rifle.

They are a hoot to shoot and will hit minute of zombie all day. Just don't expect much more and you'll be very happy with one.

I've owned three over the years and they've been good shooters for me, but I just can't seem to hang on to them.

Try and shoot it at night or at least twilight, you'll be impressed by the muzzle flash.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-02-2011, 01:53 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

thanks for the info on counter boring. We got a gun show here this wknd so i'm gonna go and take a gander and see what I can find. I'll have to go to the show on saturday cause I got zombie patrol sat nite!

Old 04-02-2011, 02:04 AM   #6

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Get on the list, and cough up the hand select. It's worth every penny!

Russian 1891/30 7.62x54R Mosin Nagant Rifle $69.95

It's where I got my 91/30;

And get your ammo at the same time!

Romanian 7.62x54R 149grn Silver Tip 440rd Can $77.95

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-02-2011, 02:54 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have one just got a month ago, love it the way the russian set this weapon up you can do a lot to it, the firing mech is simple, uber simple to take apart. I can honestly say I will never buy a commercial hunting rifle again.

I know it sounds crazy but you can pretty much adjust anything needed to, the flat head screw driver has marks in it to measure firing pin depth. the bolt can be taken completly apart, you get parts to make into a more modern hunting rifle.

The only thing I really don't like about them is the metal but plate but you can get replacments for those.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 04-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #8

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmille01 View Post

The only thing I really don't like about them is the metal but plate but you can get replacments for those.
That is for bashing skulls and opening doors!! A plastic butt plate would simple crack and fall apart!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #9

I own a mosin karbina, i love it. Its my first ww2 gun, and ill never part with it. Fun to shoot and plenty of ammo out there. Deff purchase one next time u get the chance, especially if you can find a PU scope to go along with it.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:29 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 830 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 1819

I took wife and her grown son to the big gun show today. We came out with 2 Mosin Nagant 91-30's at $99 each, w/ bayonets and accessary packs. Stocks look to be pretty good shape. Wife wants to try it on deer, but I don't handload, and I'm presuming surplus/factory ammo is all military FMJ?
Anyway, at first we were going to shoot them tomorrow, but they are going to need some degreasing first.

Any guides on FTF for loading, cleaning, maintenance on these? My only experience with rifles previously have been modern sporting guns, not milsurp.