Think prices will ever go back down?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Think prices will ever go back down?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Think prices will ever go back down?

JG Sales has ChiCom SKS's in stock...$500 each.
Local Cabelas has a bunch of Nagant revolvers in beautiful shape...$150 each.
Mosins are up in price by 50-100%.

I'm nopt familiar with historical trends in firearms, especially C&R guns, but do prices ever go back down after a panic like we're seeing, or do those prices become the "new normal?"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #2

Liked 636 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 1892

IMO as long as big stores like Academy, Gander Mtn, and Wal-Mart are in the gun game prices will go back down.

Academy and Walmart still sell their AR's for MSRP, which is better than paying $1500 for a DPMS Orical at a LGS.

So if these price gouging ass holes want to stay in business, yes prices will go down.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #3

That's actually not a bad price for the revolver. As for the others, as long as people run out and buy, buy, buy...the price will keep going up, up, up! A guy I work with had been trying to sell some off brand AK for $400...nobody wanted it. He went to a show 2 wks ago and for the heck of it threw a price of $900 on it. He sold it for $850 20 minutes after he was there. As long as people are willing to pay the price... they ain't coming down.

Teach a child to shoot, it may save a life someday!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Historically, yes. Prices do return to "pre-panic" levels. The inventory is bought up in anticipation of bans. The manufacturing increases to try and match. By the time all the money that can be spent is, manufacturing has caught up. If the timing is right, the manufacturing boom ends with a surplus of product and the retail prices actually drop below "pre-panic." This happened in the span between 2008 and 2010.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #5

Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 66

The prices for milsurp on backpage.com seem to be coming down a bit recently. I got a Hungarian MN M44 in very nice condition for $200 on Monday. And I see Yugo SKS (and 300 rounds of ammo) in nice condition with an asking price of $500. That would not have been seen a month or so ago.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #6

Liked 741 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Bolt action Sulplus rifles usually are not effected by panic buying. I use to buy Vet bring back K98k's for 125.00 to 175.00, now they are 650.00 and up. Enfield No4's, 125.00 all day long. FR7's and FR8's, $125.00. Yugo 24/47's $89.00.
K31's $129.00. The only way you will get a good deal is to know someone selling one. I sold a perfect 1942 Longbranch No4mk1/3 (1952 FTF Trigger upgrade) for $500.00 and it came w/ 300 rounds (sealed can) Greek Surplus, 120 rounds Brit surplus, A bunch of Commercial ammo and some of my reloads. I also tossed in 10 chargers full of 1942..1945 Brit MKVII. I was offered $400.00 for the rifle, but have known the kid that bought it and wanted to start him off right. Having a rifle and no ammo sucks.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

That Nagant revolver was already creeping up a bit, it had been noted in one of the industry mags I read back in November or December that the days of the surplus nagant revolvers for $99 were coming to an end. And like these guys said, the big box stores haven't really jacked anything out of proportion. I stumbled across a box of 100 Federal .223 at walmart the other night for $35. The employee told me they actually lowered the price from forty something to the 35. Some things will go back, others may not. It's a lot like gas, sometimes it goes way up, and sometimes it comes back down.....historically prices are always on the rise though.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #8

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Good info, all. Thanks.
I need to get myself one of those "industry magazines!" If I'd known the price fo the Nagant revolver would jump by half, I'd have snapped one up when they were still $99.
Might have to bump up the Radom P64 on my priority list.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #9

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The good thing about the panic buying is the new buyers. I notice the people who are engaged in panic purchases are new semi auto owners. Most of these people would have not bought a "Black" rifle 6 mos. ago. These are often buyers who said no one needs an AR 15. They also claimed Obama was not going to attack gun owners. Amazing what a dose of real world can do.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default Used gun market

After the panic buying if the guvment doesnt pass some stupid law the used gun market should be poping maybe in a couple of years.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis