Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Is there a way to find the history of your rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is there a way to find the history of your rifle?

Greetings everyone.

As a history buff, I am curious of the history of my recently purchased M-1 Carbine. I know its an Inland that was made 2-44, but I dont even know how the estate that I got it from got the weapon, nor how to find out what its record of service was.

Does anyone know where I can begin to search? I have tried using google, but not much help there.

Any info is appreciated.

Stan
Iowa

3000lb of steel and plastic will kill you just as dead as 1.5 oz of copper and lead, why not have more car control?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8390 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

Well, in a nutshell- yes maybe no sorta. These rifles were made by various contractors for the US military, So there are records of ROUGHLY when different makers made their carbines. They were accepted by the US Govt- issued to units where they were used. No, you will not find a record showing carbine sn 1234 was issued to PFC Charlie Brown of the 56th Mess Kit Repair Bn in Tree Stump MI. They were shipped from unit to unit, run back thru aresenals for repair, refurbish, updates, placed in storage, reissued, back thru the process again. Along the way, there were a bunch that were sold off thru the Dept of Civilian Marksmanship, loaned to other govts (and returned- like the ones for sale right now at CMP that were used by the Italians after WW II) If they were rebarreled/ rearsenaled, you may find date stamps on the weapon. Think about it- a carbine assigned to a training company would have been issued to a different soldier every 8 weeks- 6 new "owners" a year.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Yup, date of manufacture is about the best you'll get out of them. If it has some type of unit markings on it, you'll probably dead end right there. Mine came from Italy, so it has a replacement Italian stock on it with their armory stamp. No way to ever know where it's been....

9x18=Makarov

Old 12-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #4

Thank you both for your quick reply.

So far with this rifle, I dont think its 'all' original. which may be the case.

the trigger assembly has no discernable markings, and the main housing is reddish in color (not rust), the barrel is an Inland. 641xxxx, which according to production records matches the 2-44 month-year stamp.

What has me wondering its (at least the barrel) history is it has no import marks. no stamp on the side of the barrel, no groove where it was milled down a touch, and it doesnt have the flip rear sight. but if the best I can do is know that it is at least a GM part, I can still feel special for owning a piece of history, or 10....

3000lb of steel and plastic will kill you just as dead as 1.5 oz of copper and lead, why not have more car control?

Old 12-29-2008, 11:41 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Your trigger group may be postwar replacement. What markings if any are on the stock? If there aren't any at all, it's most likely not the original. Then you probably have a mixmaster: parts from different manufacturers. Besides, the receiver is the main thing. As long as the receiver and barrel are the originals, you have the piece of history.

9x18=Makarov

Old 12-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #6

the barrel is inland, the bolt (flat) shows no markings, I am not sure about the slide. The stock has the springfield arms stamp on the right side with a couple numbers that are stamped on the grip area, probably just quick number system for an armory...

I will get pics, maybe someone can help me identify more.