Tall Mauser Front Sight Blade Review
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Tall Mauser Front Sight Blade Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 05:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default Tall Mauser Front Sight Blade Review

Hello,

A lot of folks were wanting me to make a tall Mauser blade. I kept trying to find time -- but honestly the Mosin-Nagant sights are consuming all my time.

I recently got a Gewehr 88 that shot a foot high at 50 yards. Not liking this, I set out on an internet quest to find a fix. There were suggestions of building up a sight with epoxy and bringing it down, but this is not durable enough for my tastes. I was about ready to soft solder a stock Mauser sight and use that, but then I came across a sight blank at Brownell's.

Though it requires filing to fit and to sight in, it does do the job, and for less expensively than I could have produced it.

It's light but seems durable. The one I received is steel with a phosphate finish.

I fitted mine, and after filing it down to hit 1" high at 50 with 150grn light loads, gave it a barleycorn profile, then sharpened it with a carbide knife sharpener before smoothing and bluing it. (I might make it sharper -- we will see).

I highly recommend this sight. At $14.99, it's a bargain and should fit all Mausers as well as the Gewehr 88 Commission rifle (the one that ran me $37.50 -- just had to throw that in for you-know-who-you-all-are!)

I'm writing a positive review on Brownell's website, as well.

Regards,

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #2

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Sarco sells a front sight blade in different hights. They are listed under Swede's but fit other Mausers as well. For 8" high at 100 yards a +1.5 works very well.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #3

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Hello,

Sounds like one I'd like to try too.

I prefer a COM hold. I went to look it up on their website but don't see a pic or anything. Is it listed anywhere with a pic?

Thanks,

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Old 09-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #4

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Go to the Sarco site. Here is a link to the page. Mauser Rifle Parts
This is the part number. MSR283
Since they have opened in Pa, and now have E-sarco You need to call. Not everything is on E-sarco yet. They are a blade front sight. Makes it easier for more precise shootong overall. Big step up from the inverted V.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.