Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Swedish Mauser (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/swedish-mauser-99397/)

Gunnut-45B 10-23-2013 03:05 PM

Swedish Mauser

2 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,
I hope someone out there can help me with something. My Swedish Mauser has a rear iron sight on it that I've never seen another exactly like it. I've seen a notch version but not a peep like mine. I'm not sure what this means as far as rarity is concerned, and if it would be worth more etc. I'll post pics of it. They're not awesome quality pics. Sorry. Thanks in advance!

mountainman13 10-23-2013 03:07 PM

I've never seen one like that.

303tom 10-23-2013 03:48 PM

Never seen one like that ither, don`t think its factory tho, I think someone built that & did a good job on it. Is it a m/96-38 or a m/38 & where is the bayonet lug ?...............

xring3 10-24-2013 11:06 PM

I have seen a rear sight like that years ago but do not know the history of it. I would tend to say it was some sort of target configuration. I also think it is a military type but not common. BTW....I am not an expert....but I really like Swedish Mausers.

lilbailnick 10-25-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunnut-45B
Hello everyone,
I hope someone out there can help me with something. My Swedish Mauser has a rear iron sight on it that I've never seen another exactly like it. I've seen a notch version but not a peep like mine. I'm not sure what this means as far as rarity is concerned, and if it would be worth more etc. I'll post pics of it. They're not awesome quality pics. Sorry. Thanks in advance!

Is that a square peep? Or is it the angle/lighting?

Mongo 10-25-2013 10:07 PM

I had one like that. It was made in Germany. Have you read all the stamped lettering?

SSGN_Doc 10-25-2013 10:23 PM

It is a match rifle. Using a dial sight for increased precision adjustment for military matches. Not rare, but not as common as your run of the mill issue rifle. They would generally be valued higher than the standard Swede.

kfox75 10-26-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1413530)
It is a match rifle. Using a dial sight for increased precision adjustment for military matches. Not rare, but not as common as your run of the mill issue rifle. They would generally be valued higher than the standard Swede.

^^This^^. A friend of mine in NC has one with a sight like this. It was his dad's old deer rifle back when I lived there in the late 80s. With his old Mauser, Brian's dad was the most hated man at any turkey shoot he showed up at. Nice rifle Gunnut.

303tom 10-29-2013 05:28 AM

I have literally seen dozens of Swede rear sights & I have never seen that one, I still think it is home made..............

Mongo 10-29-2013 02:44 PM

The one I had was made in Germany near the end of the war. It had that exact sight. The only difference between mine and the one pictured was the barrel length. Mine was about 25 inches.
Gunnut-45B, have you looked at the lettering stamped into your Sweede Mauser?