SVT-40 Tokarev I think I'm in love
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > SVT-40 Tokarev I think I'm in love

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 01:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default SVT-40 Tokarev I think I'm in love

I've been looking for something other than my Mosin m-44 and the Romanian PSL that shoots the 7.62x54r. I stumbled onto the SVT-40 semi-auto. This seems to be exactly what I've been looking for. I've been watching videos online to try and get an idea of how reliable it is and any other info on it. Does anybody any experience with them? I know my M-44 kicks like a mule so range time with it can be limited, even with the shoulder pad. So any info would be helpful. Thank You.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2014, 02:41 AM   #2

Liked 2561 Times on 1458 Posts
Likes Given: 1985

I have heard they have dependability issues.

When faced with the possibility of getting a 65 year-old

SVT40, or picking up a new VEPR hunting rifle, in the same

caliber, I got the VEPR. I have heard they are difficult to

come by, in 7.62X54R, lately.

It looks somewhat like the PSL.

Downside, it tears up cartridges on the ejection. So it's

not a great action to use, if you're intent on reloading.

Last edited by therewolf; 03-23-2014 at 02:46 AM.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1365 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 3441

I have been looking for the SVT-40 for a couple of years now and my sources are all telling me that I would stand a better chance of walking on water than getting one. They must be really rare or prohibited from import.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 03-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #4

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The SVT 40's has not been imported since the 90's. They were $225 back then. They are still available but the price has risen to over 1K for a nice refurb with a good bore. They should be shot with light ball and with good ammo are quite accurate. Mine shoots as well as my M1 Garand. But they can be a PIA to clean. They have fluted chamber which must be cleaned after shooting especially if you shoot corrosive ammo. I only shoot my hand loads in my SVT 40 the flute marks on the cases do not harm the cad and can be reloaded without any problem. If you find one 2 things to look for besides bore condition. First make sure the chamber is not pitted. If it is cases might not extract. 2nd look at the gases system. You have to take off the upper hand guard (easy) Make sure the gas system is not corroded and move freely and loosen the knurled circular piece on the gas setting stem and make sure it can be turned. Look for them on Gunbroker, good luck.

Last edited by samnev; 03-26-2014 at 07:10 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

That's good to know. Thank you. I've got my eyes open looking for the right one.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

SVT-40s show up for sale quite often, and the on-line auction purchase price is hovering a little above $1,000 typically (data here). Do research before forking over your cash so you know what you're getting. Most I have personally seen at shows in the last couple of years are forced matched and missing some parts. Forced matched serial numbers are common (but show prices have been silly on these recently IMO, nearly 50% above the selling price for on-line auctions) and wouldn't cause me to pass, the missing parts cause me to keep walking.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:36 PM   #7

Liked 1564 Times on 940 Posts
Likes Given: 358

I own and SVT-40 and shoot it on occasion. They are a lot of fun, but they have some draw-backs. Once you dial in the gas-port setting they function well. If you haven't shot one, just think of shooting a very long SKS with x54 power.

If you want something to shoot on a regular basis, the SVT-40 may not be the right gun. It is too delicate and too expensive to use for a full-time range gun. It is also a pain to clean properly. When you drop a grand on one, you tend to want to be too careful with it.

That said, I very much like, and will always keep my SVT-40, and shoot it on special occasions.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

therewolf Likes This 
Old 05-26-2014, 12:47 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1280 Times on 870 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Been looking to get one of them my self, several on Gun Broker I been watching for about a week !................

When all else fails.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1280 Times on 870 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Still watchen em !...................

When all else fails.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:12 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I like that it's a semi-auto in an affordable 7.62 round. But I'm starting to wonder if it's for me. It doesn't sound like its as great as I thought.