Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > SKS firing due to vibration??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default SKS firing due to vibration??????

A friend of mine just told me that MYTH BUSTERS did a show regarding SKS rifles firing, without being touched, due to vibration. The story goes.....
A bunch of gang members had some SKS rifles loaded with rounds in the chamber and were playing really loud music and the rifles started firing on thier own. Supposedly MYTH BUSTER gathered a number of SKS's and 25% of them did indeed fire due to vibration alone. All of this having been said do any of you know of a fix for this problem???

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2261 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

The vibrations caused by a car stereo system at full blast is enough to trigger a misfire in an SKS rifle.

busted

This myth originated from Russian gangs, who use an SKS rifle with a freesliding (as opposed to spring-activated) firing pin. Supposedly, any large vibrations, such as from a loud car stereo system, can cause the firing pin to trigger and fire off round after round at random. To test this, the Build Team “pimped their ride” with the most advanced sound system they could get, and placed several of the appropriate rifles in different areas in the car before subjecting them to several decibel and tone levels worth of sound. However, none of the guns went off. Even taking the guns for testing at a sound studio and getting a custom car specifically designed for sound system contests couldn’t produce a result.

Tell your friend to stop smoking the ganja. It is screwing up his memory. The above from the Mythbusters web site. Myth de-bunked.

They were able to set off an SKS from a nearby explosion. If you think you might survive the mortar going off 10 feet away from you and are afraid it may cause your SKS to spontaneously fire, go here:
SKS Owners

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Last edited by robocop10mm; 02-04-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #3

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

They actually got the SK to fire using C4. I think the true issue w/ SKS rifles is cosmoline in the bolt. The slam fire in cold weather as the inertal pin does not return because of cosmoline. Seen this one many times.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #4

Liked 38 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I actually watched this the other night. The firearms expert they had on explained that the early imports or early SKS's had a free float firing pin and the safety just kept the striker from firing but left the firing pin loose kind of like a Shotgun so if the weapon (oops) firearm was dropped or vibration might cause the firing pin to hit the primer. Myth busters busted it as was said. The firearms expert also said the free float firing pin was corrected on later SKS's.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:42 PM   #5

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
I actually watched this the other night. The firearms expert they had on explained that the early imports or early SKS's had a free float firing pin and the safety just kept the striker from firing but left the firing pin loose kind of like a Shotgun so if the weapon (oops) firearm was dropped or vibration might cause the firing pin to hit the primer. Myth busters busted it as was said. The firearms expert also said the free float firing pin was corrected on later SKS's.
That is what is incorrect. Early sks rifles had a pin spring, in 1953 it was discarded and the inertal pin was used. Even the 1966 yugo has an inertal pin.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #6

Liked 38 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
That is what is incorrect. Early sks rifles had a pin spring, in 1953 it was discarded and the inertal pin was used. Even the 1966 yugo has an inertal pin.
AAAAhhhhhh, I stand corrected

Old 02-03-2010, 03:02 AM   #7

I do like an SKS. Mine have gone bang every time I've pulled the trigger, and never when I haven't. Good guns.

I like the AK's, too, but the SKS's are my favs.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:45 AM   #8

Thank you all for your input. I am glad to know that I need not be concerned.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #9

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts

Yep, go ahead and crank that stereo up!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 AM   #10

I always thought the myth was true! Just make sense! But now I know the truth !