Sins commited on Antique Firearms. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Sins commited on Antique Firearms.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #11
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1576 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 8106

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
I sporterized 3 or 4 relics in my youthly ignorance. I now regret each o them. It does however make the still origional guns just a little more valuable in the long run. so go ahead and make my historic remnants worth more.
QFT. I feel the same way about sporterizing old guns as I do about hot rodding old cars. Whenever someone does it I think to myself:

"Remember to send that guy a thank you card. He just raised the value of my '51 Merc\ M1 Garand by a little more!"

To each their own. I will keep my guns stock, or atleast keep and not butcher the original parts. That way they can be put back to the same configuration I bought them in.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 09-13-2012 at 06:00 AM.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1340 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 3358

Since you asked.

Case in point; I bought an 1873 Springfield Trapdoor .45-70 for $220.00. The old girl was covered from muzzle to comb in rust. All of the protectant (I will call it varnish for the sake of argument) had flaked off except for a few spots. Mechanically it was fine. I disassembled the rifle and took care of each part separately. I started with #0000 steel wool and CLP and removed the rust from the barrel and chamber slowly, inch by inch until I had exposed the original bluing and stopped there. I used a tooth brush on the parts with inlays. As for the furniture, I used a tooth brush to remove the flaking "varnish". I used a damp wash cloth and a steam iron to raise the minor dents and the grain. Then I used #0000 steel wool to polish the wood without removing any, and then put a couple of coats Truoil on it, let it cure, reassembled and the hung it on the wall. By the way, it shoots very nicely.

All of this took just over 6 months to complete. The estimated value is over $2,500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
I have worked with antique guns and knives for over 4 decades. I cant count the number of guns and knives I have seen that was ruined ( in my opinion ) by well meaning people who thought were doing something worth while. It would be interesting to hear what the OP considers restoration. The greatest true story I heard was from a young gunsmith that completely reblued and refinished the stock of a run down Winchester model 1866. Seems he took a before and after pic. Years later he saw the very rifle he rebuilt in an old photo. Holding the rifle was a very famous indian chief. That well meaning but trajically misquided individual totally destroyed a piece of American history.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 09-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #13

Liked 735 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 785

Turning a IHC Garand into a Tanker!!!

Old 09-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Allow me to add to this.

If a person "sporterizes" a POS weapon (I.E. damaged beyond restoration, mixed matched parts, already modified...etc.) that is one thing, the weapon has already lost its value. But to "sporterize" an obvious antique would be like restoring the Mona Lisa with water colors.

Good on you jpattersonnh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Sporterizing a real POS is not a crime. I had a 1942 Husqvarna M38 sportered for my son. It was a missmatched rifle that although it shot well was worth nothing and I wanted to give it new life.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 09-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Looking for ideas for a new project to restore. Any suggestions?