Sins commited on Antique Firearms.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Sins commited on Antique Firearms.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1367 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Default Sins commited on Antique Firearms.

A few odd months ago I completed a Gunsmith course (yea me!) and after spending over 20 years working with modern weapons I have decided that I want to focus my attentions antique firearms. There is nothing better than restoring an antique weapon.

Now, do not get me wrong. When I restore them (and I have done quite a few) I only bring them back to the point of their time period. Anything above that and they loose value.

The reason for this thread is because I accidentally (along with another) hijacked another thread briefly. The person posted a thread about a Krag Jorgensen that was "sporterized" and that got me started.

So, if you are like me and you cannot stand it when someone abuses an antique firearms, post your rant here and let us all have fun with the discussion.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #2

Liked 739 Times on 514 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Sporterizing a real POS is not a crime. I had a 1942 Husqvarna M38 sportered for my son. It was a missmatched rifle that although it shot well was worth nothing and I wanted to give it new life.
Hacking a true German WWII K98k is wrong, Hacking a classic Model 70 is wrong. It does not have to be an antique. I was horrorfied when they hacked a .30-40 Krag on American gun. It use to be pretty common to sporter perfect old war rifles, some folks still do. That is up to them. You can yell, scream, type anything you want, but it does not change the fact that it is their property, not yours. I agree w/ you to a point, but I'm not starting a flame war. Let it go.. JMHO.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

The_Kid Likes This 
Old 09-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #3

Liked 757 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 238

I have mixed feelings on military guns. Millions were made of some, hundreds of thousands made of many models. If some are hacked to make the owners happy so be it. Commercial guns were most often less than 100,000 and not uncommonly less than 10,000. Many commercial guns have been hacked. If hacked 50 years or more ago I can maybe understand but if done recently it is a tragedy.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 09-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #4

Liked 1591 Times on 953 Posts
Likes Given: 358

The problem is, what is a POS today is a valuable collector's rifle tomorrow. The K98s that were mentioned sold for about $20.00 in barrels in department stores in 1969. (I know, I bought one) A heck of a lot of these guns were "customized" and are now only good for salvagable parts. Once the hacksaw or sandpaper hits a firearm it is a POS from then on.

To me, there is a very fine line between a "restoration" and a "customization" and a lot of people can't make the distinction.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

It depends on the gun. Modifying/sporterizing a Mosin, or an SKS is one thing, but if you do that to a Krag, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, 1903 Springfield, ect, that is just wrong.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I have worked with antique guns and knives for over 4 decades. I cant count the number of guns and knives I have seen that was ruined ( in my opinion ) by well meaning people who thought were doing something worth while. It would be interesting to hear what the OP considers restoration. The greatest true story I heard was from a young gunsmith that completely reblued and refinished the stock of a run down Winchester model 1866. Seems he took a before and after pic. Years later he saw the very rifle he rebuilt in an old photo. Holding the rifle was a very famous indian chief. That well meaning but trajically misquided individual totally destroyed a piece of American history.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have to agree for the most part, that many fine old firearms should never be restored, sporterized or even refinished as it usually degrades the value quite a bit. but also once someone buys a firearm, it's theirs to do what they want whether we agree or disagree with their choice. if asked for an opinion, for the most part, leave it be.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #8

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I say sporterize old guns as long as it is not a rare gun or rare variant and has no historic value. Meaning a gun like my 1943 round receiver Izhevsk, although I wont do any permanent modifications to mine.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:19 AM   #9

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im the same way. I bought a mosin about a month ago for $100. Its a great shooter but i cant stand more than 50 rounds in one sitting because of the stock. So im planning on buying a synthetic stock for it to make it more of a shooter. But i have an old Gew88 that i will never change anything on it ever. Its to important to me to change. It was my grandfathers and has to much history to change. But if i wanted a mosin to keep all original i would take $100 and buy another.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #10

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I sporterized 3 or 4 relics in my youthly ignorance. I now regret each o them. It does however make the still origional guns just a little more valuable in the long run. so go ahead and make my historic remnants worth more.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

kfox75 Likes This