Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Sighting in a Mauser?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sighting in a Mauser?

Just got a "new" Mauser 38. Cleaned out the casmoline and fired it....about 3-4" left at 50 yards. Not bad. How do I move the rear sight? Or does anyone know of a good web site that shows it? Or....does it even move?

Thanks...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #2

Don't have one of those, but: generaly you adjust windage by moving the front sight in the direction you want the bullet to go. See Collecting and Shooting the m/38 Swedish Mauser - HISTORY
and related articles in the "search" mode.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #3

Moving the rear sight will take an Act of Congress. The front sight can be drifted back and forth with a proper sized drift and a hammer that is just enough to make the drift move the front sight side to side so that the movement will not make your shots impact the same distance in the opposite direction. So in other words keep your hammer size small to medium, not a 2 pound ball peen, LOL!

"Voodoo Child {slight return}". Yes, it is the name of a song by Jimi Hendrix.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:53 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

have to disagree with the above assesment when shooting iron sights you move the rear sight the dirrection you want to bullet to move,and move the front sight opposite direction of the rear sight. as stated above you need to drift the front sight sideways. so if your rifle is hitting to the left of the bullseye you would move the rear sight to the right or the front sight to the left. and since mausers arent capable of windage adjustment with the rear sight you must make windage adjustments with the front sight. hope this helps.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #5

30/30 you ever see a mauser??the rear site only takes elevation the front site can be moved for windage.you are right if the rear site can be adjusted.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

wildcat you apparently didnt read the last sentence of my post where i stated that the rear sight is unmoveable. and yes in my 30+ years of gunsmithing i have seen a few.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #7

30-30 is Correct. I must have posted before the caffine in my morning coffee took full effect. Front sight moves in the OPPOSITE direction you want the bullet to go; rear sight in the SAME direction. Sorry if I caused confusion.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimHigh View Post
30-30 is Correct. I must have posted before the caffine in my morning coffee took full effect. Front sight moves in the OPPOSITE direction you want the bullet to go; rear sight in the SAME direction. Sorry if I caused confusion.
hello aimhigh after reading your first post i was wondering if my caffine hadnt kicked in yet.lol. it is always fun to got to the range and watch people trying to sight in iron sights. actually saw a fight between father and son one day. its about a fun as watching people trying to back a boat down a boat ramp.