Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Semi-auto Sten gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/semi-auto-sten-gun-67700/)

marc29th 07-06-2012 01:44 AM

Semi-auto Sten gun

OK so my friends talked me into doing British Para for WWII reenacting. I'd like to get a sten gun instead of an Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk 1 does anyone have an experience with the sten gun (either the Mk2 or Mk5) kits out there? It looks like the take quite a bit of work.

sputnik1988 07-06-2012 01:52 AM

I would like to get into British also, where are you guys from?

Have no experience with the sten, sorry.

One of our members makes custom 22 rifles from airsoft guns, maybe he could help.

marc29th 07-06-2012 01:55 AM

We're in New Hampshire. But there are different groups all over. They are putting on a big "Arnhem" event in Tenn. This fall. I'm hoping to get kitted out by next spring.

sputnik1988 07-06-2012 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marc29th (Post 860489)
We're in New Hampshire. But there are different groups all over. They are putting on a big "Arnhem" event in Tenn. This fall. I'm hoping to get kitted out by next spring.

I'm in the same boat, been working on my G.I. kit for almost a year, got almost everything but it will be awhile before I get the rest.

Wanted to do Armored, live an hour from Fort Knox and can't find any local armored divisions, go figure.

marc29th 07-06-2012 02:01 AM

We've all veteran rev-war reenactors looking for something else to do (I also do F&I and Napoleonic. We picked 2nd Battalion South Staffordshire Regt. 1st Air-Landing Brigade for our unit.

marc29th 07-06-2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988

I'm in the same boat, been working on my G.I. kit for almost a year, got almost everything but it will be awhile before I get the rest.

Wanted to do Armored, live an hour from Fort Knox and can't find any local armored divisions, go figure.

Yeah getting a a tank or APC is pretty expensive. So there aren't that many. We know a guy in Mass. Who has a Bren Carrier so we can hook up with him to crew it.

sputnik1988 07-06-2012 02:20 AM

Wish I knew somebody like that.

That's why I went with infantry, 29th ID.

c3shooter 07-06-2012 03:58 AM

Real issue with getting a STEN- any STEN- to shoot is usually the magazines. The "Plumber's Nightmare" can be a bit of a hassle.

Re: Re-enactors- and apologies for highjacking- friend was having dinner with his wife- was wearing Second Virginia belt buckle (oldest unit of the US Army, lineage goes back to Bacon's Rebellion) Lady noticed the buckle, asked if he was with the 2nd VA. Dave proudly told her that he had just become the Battalion Commander that week.

Lady looked upset, replied that HER husband was the battalion commander.

After a minute- it sunk in. Dave's wife asked the lady- "Your husband is a re-enactor, isn't he?" Well...... of course!" "Well, my husband is the battalion commander of the ACTUAL Second Virginia. They still exist, y'know."

"Oh."