Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   scoping a colector (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/scoping-colector-48639/)

murraywc 09-23-2011 01:31 AM

scoping a colector

I have a G33/40 that has been sporterized somewhat just by putting a sporterized stock on it. It has not been drilled or cut. Is there a mount available to scope this rifle without having to drill the reciever because I know it will decrease the value of it and ruin the chances of ever restoring it. I also have a 1903A3 restored that I would like to scope but would prefer not to drill it. Is there such a mount available.

1982flh80 09-24-2011 03:02 PM

Milsurp scope

3 Attachment(s)
Pics of my Columbian 98k. Mount is from B Square. Check their web sight for other applications. You can also check Natchez. Scope is an Nc star pistol scope. Hope it holds up. Cheepo unit w/illuminated reticle.

jpattersonnh 09-25-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murraywc (Post 584671)
I have a G33/40 that has been sporterized somewhat just by putting a sporterized stock on it. It has not been drilled or cut. Is there a mount available to scope this rifle without having to drill the reciever because I know it will decrease the value of it and ruin the chances of ever restoring it. I also have a 1903A3 restored that I would like to scope but would prefer not to drill it. Is there such a mount available.

You not only need the stock, but the correct bands, end cap, bayonet lug. I have a friend that is only a few miles from me that has stocks stacked like cord wood and trays of metal. Do you want to see what he wants for them! It is not a sniper, that is what he does, but he has lots of parts. He has well over a hundred stocks. The numbers would not match, but the rifle would be correct.

murraywc 09-26-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 586789)
You not only need the stock, but the correct bands, end cap, bayonet lug. I have a friend that is only a few miles from me that has stocks stacked like cord wood and trays of metal. Do you want to see what he wants for them! It is not a sniper, that is what he does, but he has lots of parts. He has well over a hundred stocks. The numbers would not match, but the rifle would be correct.

I have looked at bringing it back to original but the stocks and metal are so high that i have found I'm not sure I would recover the cost but I know that the reciever is one of the most sought after on the market. I would be very interested if I could find one at the right price.

TheOldMan 09-28-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murraywc (Post 587113)
I have looked at bringing it back to original but the stocks and metal are so high that i have found I'm not sure I would recover the cost but I know that the reciever is one of the most sought after on the market. I would be very interested if I could find one at the right price.

Agreed that the k98 mauser action is one of the best actions on the market. However to addess your concern about mounting a scope and/or the cost of restoring it to original condition. Considering that it's already been mod'd (sporter stock added) then mounting a scope by drilling the reciever or not is a mute point in my opinion. Your only concern mounting a scope (again my opinion) would lie in if you want to bring it back to original. I am not aware of any mounts that would not require altering the reciever in some way other than a scout mount like the one you've got on your Brazilian rifle.

I am not a big fan of sporterizing the milsurp rifles but I do have a few in my collection. My advice would be go sporter and don't worry about mounting a scope to the reciever or return it to original condition and find a scout mount.

Cost is only a factor if you intend to resell it. Cost is not so much a factor if you intend to keep it and have an original piece.. Remeber, value only amounts to what someone is willing to pay.