Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (
-   -   scope mount issues (mosin nagant) (

straticaster 01-28-2014 03:25 AM

scope mount issues (mosin nagant)
i bought my mosin nagant about 2 years ago and have loved it since. i would love to put a scope on it. i wont drill in fear of hurting the future value of the gun and would prefer to use a clamp or mount that fits on the rear sight base. any ideas?

John_Deer 01-28-2014 03:51 AM

The issue is not the mount. You will not be able to use a standard scope. You will need a long eye relief scope for a scout rifle. Long eye relief scopes are not cheap.

straticaster 01-28-2014 04:09 AM

the long eye relief scope wont be a problem. i just want to get some info about how to get the rear sight off of the gun. and then, what kind of mount/rail to attach.

SSGN_Doc 01-28-2014 04:44 AM

Brass stacker scope mount.

dteed4094 01-28-2014 04:35 PM

I bought a sight base and made a rail that fit down inside where the Iron sight fit. I then drilled the sight base and rail and pinned them together and slid it back on to the dovetail and pinned so it can't possibly move. Some of the bases are silver soldered on to the dovetail so after removing the pins you'll have to heat the base to melt the solder and then drift the base off the dovetail with a brass drift. Sometimes the pins holding the base on are also soldered and need to be heated to be removed. Mine holds zero very well as long as the scope holds up. There is no need to resolder if everything fits snugly.