Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Saw the worst budda job!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 696 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Default Saw the worst budda job!!!

I was picking up my sons barreled action from the Smith last night. He asked if I could look at an old rifle and tell him what it was and what it is worth.
He explained that the gun was worked on by another smith years ago and this rifle was his clients fathers. It started life as an 1895 Chilean Mauser. My heart skipped when I looked at the side of the receiver. Then sank as soon as I looked at the work.
OMG, I have never seen such lousy work. The bolt handle had been cut off too close to the bolt body and was pinned and welded badly, so the inletting on the stock (which was the original) was so deep only the ball was exposed. Next were the scope bases. Typical weaver, but the front holes were miss aligned and the rear had only 1 hole drilled and tapped. The rear sight was gone, but a newer front sight was installed on the chopped off barrel. The Safety was modified, it had been cut and what looked like and old spoon that was bent into a serpentine was welded on, again, all the welds had pockets and cracks showing.
So this is what he has to do:
1) Weld over the holes in the receiver for the scope and drill and tap them correctly.
2) Take the bolt handle off, lengthen the shank and replace the handle. (he has the handle he removed from mine for material)
3) replace the stock, the original butt plate was removed and a fugly pad installed, not fitted mind you.
4) re-crown the barrel.
5) replace the safety lever.
6) re-blue the receiver.
Personally, I would re-barrel it also as the barrel is so short, 18".

Glad it is not my rifle!!!
He has the receipt from the original work.

Forgot to mention, she is still 7x57.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 12-22-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: caliber

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 308 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Dang! That sounds like a project I'm currently working on. (Except it's a chain saw... ) Lots of TIG welding involved.

Sometimes you just have to know when to let them go, unless you are bored and want a challenge. It's painful I know, when you run across those poor abused former works of art. Having been the victim of that kind of "smith" myself in another life -- I can relate. Ruined an pristine Colt series 80 pistol of mine. I had to just let it drop and walk away, because if I would have gone back there it would not have ended well for either one of us.

Sorry you had to bear witness to that carnage JP ....