Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Savage 1907 .32 acp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 02:26 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Anybody with any good or bad experience with the Colt 1903/1908? How about the Tokarev from the various countries in eastern Europe? Thanks in advance for any info provided.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #22

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

WARNING: If you decide to get the 1907 Savage pistol,BEFORE you attempt to take it apart,Google the gun and go to some of the excellent You-Tube tutorials on that very subject.
1) The pistol was designed with a small lug/lever inside that was intended to delay the blow back and if you damage this part you might be a whole lot older before you can find a replacement.(this part was a wear problem with age anyway)

2) The hammer module can be reinstalled incorrectly and if you do so the gun will lock-up tighter than a frogs fanny in turpentine.

3) If you turn the gun upside down with the slide off and do not restrain a number of small parts inside they can fall out of place and believe me when I tell you that their placement is not perfectly clear or logical unless you know how they came out.

4) The heat treat and steel is excellent on these guns and even a good classic hot blue is prone to wear rapidly; Cold blue will probably wear off faster than than you can put it on.

All that said,when most people shoot these old Savage pistols for the first time they are usually quite taken with the ergonomics and point-ability.
Don.t forget that Savage heavily marketed these guns as an anybody can shoot it handgun to leave at home with the little lady(sic) for self protection while you were away.
Like most pocket pistols from that era I think they were designed for face to face out to about 5-7 yards and most accuracy complaints come from people usually with larger hands trying to hit bulls eyes from 15-25 yards.A higher capacity than most other pocket pistols of the time certainly doesn't hurt.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:48 AM   #23

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

Thanks for the advise 4tsmith. I have watched some of the youtube videos. I will be carefull when I start working on it. Sounds like finish won't affect value much so I may not mess with the finish. Would you advise the purchase or is my $200 spent better elsewhere?

Old 05-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #24

IMPO: Mechanical condition and bore condition are more important on these Savage 1907 or 1917's than cosmetics,given that at least the gun doesn't have pitting or extreme physical damage.

The main reason that you find so many with heavy wear to the finish is that they were not sock drawer guns.
They were small or fairly compact,reliable,natural ergonomics and reasonably safe to carry cocked and locked.
Although they are not as well known as say the 1903/1908 Colts,1900/1910 FN's or perhaps the mid frame Rubies,the people that owned and carried them loved them and most described them as straight shooters.I think what they meant was that they point more naturally than almost any other semi-auto of that era.When you shoot the gun you'll want to shoot it some more,it just feels that natural.
Even with my medium small hands I have to force the position of my trigger finger for accuracy on the small Colts,FN's,REM/UMC51,Rubies and a few others,but not the Savages.
Ten or fifteen years ago you could have purchased some of these guns in pawn shops and gun stores in 90% or better condition all day for around 100-125 apiece,now you bump into internet fever and suddenly they are valued in Gold weight exchange values.I just paired up my heirloom safe queen with a 1907(32) in about 80% finish with a tight action and pristine bore for $160+tax and I almost danced out of the store.

One last warning: These Savage's have the original grips from hell.If you have to remove them I can virtually guarantee that you'll have to replace them.(old hard rubber that blind lugs into a cut recess in the frame.)
However Vintage grip replacements are a perfect fit reproduction and so far all the Ammo-Clip magazines I have tried are nearly perfect with minor fitting on some guns.(flawless on both savages)

Good Luck with your choice (As an after thought,I just finished using Shooters Solutions concentrated bluing with a mild pre-heat and a heat gun to dry it,on a Remington 34 restore and this stuff ROCKS!!!)(Their video claims are 100% TRUE;If you try it,buy the basic starter kit,it's a good deal)

Old 05-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #25

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

"These Savage's have the original grips from hell."
The early ones had metal grips

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #26

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

The final word. I went to pick up the Savage today and asked if I could field strip the gun before my purchase was final, knowing that parts were hard to find. Being Cabela's, I Sat with their resident know-it-all in the gun library. The guy allowed me to field strip and I found that the firing pin appeared to be bent slightly. At this point I asked of they would lower the price and he insisted on sending it to their gunsmithing (I've seen their work and am not impressed). In the end I decided that it was not going to ne a good purchase. I'll check back on a couple weeks and it will probably be priced $50 less. I may buy it then. Thanks to everybody for their help and input. I don't bit my guns for resale so money isn't a huge deal but I have enough guns I need parts for. I did find a 8mm Mauser carbine though.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #27

"The early ones had metal grips":..I had heard that some of the very earliest ones did,but I'VE never handled one.I had an older collector tell me that it was a factory order option,however that opinion wasn't verified.
All that I've owned had gutta percha(?)(you know-hard rubber)grips like pocket Colts and many others.They seem to be brittle and very easily cracked and chipped.Regardless Vintage Grips replacements have been a lifesaver on several guns under the pressure of my meager budget.
------------
srtolly1....Good call on the purchase for now...If however you can get the price where you want it,the last time I checked Numeric,Jack First and a few others had those parts.The firing pins are pretty sturdy and don't seem to be a commonly damaged part.The module that holds the hammer and firing pin and link isn't hard to work on and it might be worth looking into the part in case the deal gets better.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #28

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Comment and a question

I collect .32 ACP pistols from the early 20th Century. As a group, they are interesting bits of history and most are intriguing in design and execution. I especially like the 'art deco' designed guns. A Savage is on my list; I almost bought one at the last gun show, but found a Harrington & Richardson Self Loading 32 instead.

I have the H&R and a 1903 Colt Pocket Pistol. They actually shoot quite well - when one can find the dadburn sights!

4tsmith, thanks for the information.

Just as a matter of historical information, wasn't the Savage pistol the first 'double stack' magazine in a successful commercial design? I don't know of an earlier one.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 05-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #29

I've gotten hooked in that same groove with both 32 and 380's.
The affection seems to be understanding the why,how and what my elders and mentors carried back in the day.

A 1907 Savage that my uncle Harry carried as a BUG through WW1 and gave to my grandmother as a purse gun during the depression because she worked nights and had to trolley through some tough Kansas City neighborhoods in the north end,now referred to by my lady and daughter as their special little gun.

Even today when people handle a 1903/1908 Colt pocket pistol you can see that moment of recognition when they realize they're holding an elegant,functional piece of firearms artwork.

I still marvel at someone before 1910 stuffing a magazine of 32's into a gun as tiny as the 1908 Bayard or the miniature 1911 feel of the Femaru 37 and the list goes on.

It's refreshing to know that even Gaston Glock probably got the idea for his safety trigger from a turn of the century break top revolver and it wasn't lost on me for a second that the Kimber Solo sure looks an awful lot like a shortened 1903 pocket Colt.Maybe lightning can only strike once and everything else is just a copy.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:51 AM   #30

OOPS!!...missed your question and yes its claim was the first to hold ten rounds of 32 in a pocket pistol.

I don't know if it was a staggered column or a true double stack but probably the former not the latter...I would be hard put to qualify the technical difference between two but at some point the difference is probably a little blurry anyway.