S&W 32 Long CTG
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > S&W 32 Long CTG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 04:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&W 32 Long CTG

I recently acquired a S&W 32 Long CTG which has been in the family for a number of years. There are patent dates on the barrel which range from April 9, 1889 to July 7, 1903. It has a 4 1/4" barrel and has the number 10966 stamped on the bottom of the butt. From the attached pictures, you can see that the bluing is worn a bit on the cylinder.

Can anyone tell me when this revolver was manufactured, the approximate value and any other information about it?

Thank You....

s-w-32-ctg-1.jpg   s-w-32-ctg-2.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

Joe, This post would have better in one of the other categories. "Support and Suggestions" is for posts should you need support on a forum feature or have a suggestion to improve the forum. Your post does neither.
You should read some of the posts before starting a new thread. In those started by new people (and number of posts = 1), almost everyone has been advised to go to the "Introductions" section. Please do that.
Welcome to the forum

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Joe, This post would have better in one of the other categories. "Support and Suggestions" is for posts should you need support on a forum feature or have a suggestion to improve the forum. Your post does neither.
You should read some of the posts before starting a new thread. In those started by new people (and number of posts = 1), almost everyone has been advised to go to the "Introductions" section. Please do that.
Welcome to the forum
What he said.

Your post should go here:

Curio & Relic Discussion
Curio & Relic and collectors license discussion.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-05-2010, 01:38 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post

Your post should go here:

Curio & Relic Discussion
Curio & Relic and collectors license discussion.

Jack
By your command, oh Dangerous One.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by belercous View Post
Are you guys just messin' with the new guy? This isn't a question about a C&R liscense, nor should it go under support & suggestions. Wtf?
The forum is about C&R firearms too, not just the license.

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So...
What's the definition of C & R? Antique? Is there a difference?

I also have a 32 long Hand Ejector I-frame. It has the same length barrel but is in nickel finish. Half moon front sight, 3rd edition. A local pawn shop offered me $200 for it. I figured it has more sentimental value than that...
The range I go to just bought a VALUE BUNDLE of 32 long. Cheap, too...

Oh, lucky me...

Old 07-07-2010, 03:45 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by belercous View Post
My S&W model 1903 hand ejector is a C&R gun and it appears to be made after joecamphill's. What is the problem with his post?
Nothing wrong with the post, except it was originally posted in the support and suggestion section. It has now been relocated to an appropriate section.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:48 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortok View Post
So...
What's the definition of C & R? Antique? Is there a difference?

I also have a 32 long Hand Ejector I-frame. It has the same length barrel but is in nickel finish. Half moon front sight, 3rd edition. A local pawn shop offered me $200 for it. I figured it has more sentimental value than that...
The range I go to just bought a VALUE BUNDLE of 32 long. Cheap, too...

Oh, lucky me...
A C&R is on an ATF list that can be purchased by a C&R liscense holder with a copy of the license alone.

A general guideline is if the gun is 50 years old, or older. That's a guideline only, some more recent models have made the list, and not every gun that hits 50 qualifies. The ATF list is the final say-so.

I'm fuzzy on what qualifies as an antique.......

Old 07-09-2010, 07:49 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecamphill View Post
I recently acquired a S&W 32 Long CTG which has been in the family for a number of years. There are patent dates on the barrel which range from April 9, 1889 to July 7, 1903. It has a 4 1/4" barrel and has the number 10966 stamped on the bottom of the butt. From the attached pictures, you can see that the bluing is worn a bit on the cylinder.

Can anyone tell me when this revolver was manufactured, the approximate value and any other information about it?

Thank You....
Joe, I have one that looks identical that has a much larger serial number and its manufacture date was 1012, so I can only assume yours is even older. Looks great for its age.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #10

Default were in the same boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecamphill View Post

Thank You....
I don't know how long you've been waiting on a ansewer for your ?. I also have the same thing only with a slightly higher s/n. It was my grandfathers but i dont know any of the history of it. The #'s are so spread out you don't know when it was made. That's all i would like to know also is the history of the gun, which seems to be as elusife as big foot. that's how i found this site. I hope that we get a ansewer . But how long have you been waiting so i dont get my hopes up.

Last edited by dlculp; 08-03-2011 at 11:21 PM. Reason: wrong info