Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   S.M.L.E. Weekend (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/s-m-l-e-weekend-85128/)

RUG3R44 02-25-2013 02:30 PM

S.M.L.E. Weekend

I shot my 2A Ishi and my #4 mk2(F) this weekend. I haven't shot them in a couple of years and had forgotten what fine firearms they are.
The only problem was the P.O.F. ammo I was using in the .303 kept hang firing. It smelled bad too. Otherwise I had a grand ol' time. I'm probably going to shoot Mausers next weekend or maybe a Mosin Nagant. :)

Trez 02-25-2013 03:27 PM

Hang fires are a bit crazy arnt they??? I was shooting mine a couple of weeks ago, and the hang fires were really throwing me off...

.303 seems to be the only ammo Ive ever had that happen to me with, wonder why?

hairbear1 02-26-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trez (Post 1153441)
Hang fires are a bit crazy arnt they??? I was shooting mine a couple of weeks ago, and the hang fires were really throwing me off...

Probably because of the ammo especially if it's Indian or Pakistani which I think has cordite(?) instead of powder.
You'll get better results reloading your own ammo and a lot more accurate results as well.
Don't forget to wash out the barrel with hot water 1st and then patch it out dry and then clean it as normal,regards

zaitsev44 02-26-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trez

+1 on that! I was shooting some '42 and '45 British, Australian and South African ammo and 5 out of 12 failed to fire. I also have a unopened 32 round box of 1968 Pakistani ammo that I'm keeping as a cool British Empire artifact.

RUG3R44 02-26-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

You'll get better results reloading your own ammo and a lot more accurate results as well
I reload for hunting but I was just blasting away at a plastic softball on the back side of my property. I use surplus for that and clean immediatly afterward while the bores still warm.

Trez 02-26-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairbear1 (Post 1154840)
Probably because of the ammo especially if it's Indian or Pakistani which I think has cordite(?) instead of powder.
You'll get better results reloading your own ammo and a lot more accurate results as well.
Don't forget to wash out the barrel with hot water 1st and then patch it out dry and then clean it as normal,regards

So its the cordite? Ive shot a lot of old ammo and .303 is the only one ive ever had hang fires with. Everything else Ive shot either shoots or it doesnt....

jpattersonnh 02-26-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trez (Post 1154981)
So its the cordite? Ive shot a lot of old ammo and .303 is the only one ive ever had hang fires with. Everything else Ive shot either shoots or it doesnt....

It is not cordite. It is the primer compound. MKVII uses nitro cellulose powder, not cordite. Cordite was only used in MKI and MKII.

sputnik1988 02-26-2013 10:06 PM

I've got some Turkish 8mm that hang fires pretty bad, my 303 doesn't hang at all, I don't know what its country of origin is.

zaitsev44 02-26-2013 11:03 PM

Does anyone know why some Australian ammo is silver tipped? The guy I bought it from said it was armor piercing but I called B.S on that just by looking at it.

JWagner 02-26-2013 11:42 PM

To check the ammo for AP, put a magnet next to the bullet. I have some AP rounds for my M1 Garand that a magnet sticks to strongly.