rossi 22slr rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > rossi 22slr rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2007, 03:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default rossi 22slr rifle

my husband has a rossi 22 rifle that was his uncles, we are trying to find out some history on this gun all comments are welcome. The # is g400763 and has interarm,alexandia,virginia on the barrel,it also has model 62SA on the barrel,and is a pump action.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2007, 03:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn View Post
my husband has a rossi 22 rifle that was his uncles, we are trying to find out some history on this gun all comments are welcome. The # is g400763 and has interarm,alexandia,virginia on the barrel,it also has model 62SA on the barrel,and is a pump action.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like a Rossi replica of a Winchester Model 62 slide/pump action .22.
I believe that Taurus is now making the 62 Pumps.
It is probably worth between 200-300 dollars.
The pump .22s are a really fun rifle/

Old 10-22-2007, 04:30 AM   #4

Default Rossi

Well, that brings back some memories, I used to coon hunt with one, when I was a kid, great gun, they are a replica of the old Winchester 1890 with a 23 inch barrle, never had a single problem with it, gave it to a life long buddy for his kid that just loved that rifle, would always ask me to dig it out everytime he visited, I don't think they are that rare I still see them at gun shops from time to time, I was watching one on gunbroker.com awhile back that was starting bid of 150.00 the auction ended with no bids, wish I would have bid rifle was in excellent condition, I figured it would have gone for alot more, I bought mine for 40.00 used from an old farmer that was 30 years ago!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 10-22-2007, 01:26 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Rick,
The Rossi and Taurus pump action .22's are replicas of the Winchester M62.
They are close enough that a sizeable number of parts will interchange.
The Winchester M62A was the last of the pump action models that started with the M1890.
The 1890 was chambered in .22 short only.
The M1906 followed and had a longer carrier to handle Short, Long and Long Rifle .22
The 1906 was superceded by the M62 and M62A.
The M62's were also released in a .22 short only model that was used for a shooting gallery gun.
The Action is very reliable and will function well for hundreds of rounds between cleanings (even shooting the old wax lubed stuff)
The Rossi's are nice guns but do not handle as well as the Winchesters.
However, if you can find a Winchester in good condition for less than 600 dollars you are lucky. The Rossi is a very good compromise at ~200.00

The large screw on the left side of the receiver is the takedown screw. If you unscrew it you can pull the stock and carrier apart from the receiver, barrel and magazine assy.
When you take it apart you can push the button where the hammer hits to pop up and slide the bolt to its rear most position. this will allow you to clean the rifle from the breach end.
Magazine capacity is ~15 Long Rifle cartridges or 20 shorts.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #6

Default M62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984cj View Post
Rick,
The Rossi and Taurus pump action .22's are replicas of the Winchester M62.
They are close enough that a sizeable number of parts will interchange.
The Winchester M62A was the last of the pump action models that started with the M1890.
The 1890 was chambered in .22 short only.
The M1906 followed and had a longer carrier to handle Short, Long and Long Rifle .22
The 1906 was superceded by the M62 and M62A.
The M62's were also released in a .22 short only model that was used for a shooting gallery gun.
The Action is very reliable and will function well for hundreds of rounds between cleanings (even shooting the old wax lubed stuff)
The Rossi's are nice guns but do not handle as well as the Winchesters.
However, if you can find a Winchester in good condition for less than 600 dollars you are lucky. The Rossi is a very good compromise at ~200.00

The large screw on the left side of the receiver is the takedown screw. If you unscrew it you can pull the stock and carrier apart from the receiver, barrel and magazine assy.
When you take it apart you can push the button where the hammer hits to pop up and slide the bolt to its rear most position. this will allow you to clean the rifle from the breach end.
Magazine capacity is ~15 Long Rifle cartridges or 20 shorts.
Yes you are right, the modle 62 is a improved version of the 1890, and the Rossi is a knock off of the 62 but it all started with the 1890 they are family, I was speaking in general. They are all very similar. ( copys )

If you run your just going to die tired!!!