You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion >

Romanian TT33 7.62x25 problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Romanian TT33 7.62x25 problem

So I buy a nice Romanian variation of the Tokarev Made by Cugir. i went to the range & found that it would shot 2 or 3 rounds & then lockup with the slide back in what seemed to be in battery . The trigger & slide didn`t move however. That ridiculous safety was off . In tried different mags ,would do the same. The only way to get it fire was to remove the mag eject the round in the chamber reinsert the mag & then it would fire another 2 or 3 rounds. What`s puzzling that even though the slide would jam,it fed a round . I mean the slide really jammed & the trigger was totally inoperative. Could the safety mechanism be jamming the slide? A guy on U tube even removed the safety lever & the gun still jammed like mine does. He said after he put new recoil spring in the gun ,the problem was solved. How?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-26-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4124 Times on 2106 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Looks like it is difficult to call it a "nice variation" if it does not work. If I am understanding the problem, the slide is closing, but will not fire. Sounds like it may be stopping just short of full lock up. Some designs are less forgiving of partial lock up. If it is failing to properly lock, I would look at two things; chambering and ammo. If it is "short chambered" it may cause some problems. Slightly out of spec ammo can cause the same problem. Try different ammo. Different brand.

On the topic, what ammo are you using? Many US brands are underpowered in comparison to what the gun was designed for, (HOT SMG ammo).
CaptMidnight Likes This 
Old 11-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #3

Thanks robocop10mm. Here`s what I found at the range. Everything goes well ,a round is chambered , the gun fires ,however once every few shots the hammer will not fall fully.the gun will go to half cock. Once it does this it it`s on safe ,the whole gun locks up . just as it was designed. In this condition in order to bring it back to battery you need to cock the hammer manually. Something , maybe the sear needs polished ,maybe I need to pull the trigger just a hair more positively . But that`s what is causing the problem. Now thew solution!

Old 12-01-2015, 11:20 PM   #4

Liked 837 Times on 586 Posts
Likes Given: 936

Have you completely taken it apart and cleaned it? Break it down completely. If I were to shove a pound of cosmoline up your @ss for 30 years, I bet you might have an issue or 2.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:04 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2826 Times on 1654 Posts
Likes Given: 1859

If you are using Milsurp Ammo it maybe the hot sub gun stuff. It runs high pressures and leaves too much residue. Use a bore brush to clean the chamber after it locks up. If it works OK again it is dirty ammo.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:38 PM   #6

Liked 2514 Times on 1348 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

I am with jpattersonnh. Have you fully disassembled and properly cleaned the gun? I have seen brand new guns malfunction simply because the shooter never cleaned the packing grease from them. I would stop trying to diagnose the problem until the gun is perfectly clean and properly lubricated. And I am not just talking about dropping the mag and cleaning the bore. Every gun should be completely disassembled, cleaned and lubed every now and then.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 12-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #7

I completely disassembled the gun polished some of the rough machining marks, I~ll put a new recoil spring in it ,lets see what happens now.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #8

We can have all the book knowledge in the world .Common sense dictates that one clean a milsurp gun before firing it. However, I've experienced a lack of horse sense in my time. I`m sure we all have.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #9

I`ve changed the recoil spring. The gun will not go into battery . It needs to be recocked each time , After the gun fires it will not return to battery. This gun has such a smooth action ,it`s unbelievable that it doesn`t fire beautifully!