Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   romanian sks finishes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/romanian-sks-finishes-22965/)

ultamitducttape 02-03-2010 05:42 AM

romanian sks finishes

4 Attachment(s)
Hi,
im pretty new to this forum but i have read a bunch of the threads on this forum and everybody seems to have very good knowledge of anything thing gun related so i figured i would join and maby get some input on somthing so here it goes

I recently recieved a romanian sks i ordered (way back before christmass but thats another story) anyways i bought it because it was a real good deal 227.50 with shipping and taxes they had told me that the stock was in rough shape which was ok because its going to be a shooter however they did not state the fact that the metal finish was completely gone

so my question is should i leave it like it is or should i re-blue the correct metal parts and if i do end up refinishing the metal would it affect the value any

also i have not purchased the blueing compound so tips on what works good would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

jpattersonnh 02-03-2010 11:57 AM

If you do refinish the rifle it will effect collectors value, if it has any. For the wood, you can clean it w/ a little simple green and then give it a few coats of BLO. What is stamped on the receiver?

RCHanlin 02-03-2010 01:44 PM

Most of the Romanian SKS's being offered today have moderate if any real collectors value to them. In my opinion, you'll be safe in cleaning and reblueing the metal parts on this shooter. Brownells offers several high quality cold blueing solutions. I've mostly used the Berchwood-Casey (spelling) products with very good sucess. Bare in mind that a cold blue will not be as durable as a hot blue or a good rust blueing but it will be a lot cheaper. As far as the stock? I would go with the BLO as suggested in the above response.

ultamitducttape 02-04-2010 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 223737)
If you do refinish the rifle it will effect collectors value, if it has any. For the wood, you can clean it w/ a little simple green and then give it a few coats of BLO. What is stamped on the receiver?

whats on the reciever is the Arsenal marking (an up arrow in a triangle) along with the manufacture date (1959)

ultamitducttape 02-04-2010 05:27 AM

sorry the manufacture date is 1960 idk why i said 1959
It was a real long day lol

jpattersonnh 02-04-2010 04:32 PM

You can look here to tell the country of origin. Most likely a Cugir model 59.
Here are com blok arsenal stamps. I would leave that one as is. Most were changed to 59/66 specs.
Factories where foreign AK47s are / were Manufactured

RCHanlin 02-04-2010 06:01 PM

Little confused

the original post mentioned a Romanian SKS that you took posession of. Your mark denotes Russian origin. specifically coming from the Izhevsk factory.. here is some info on that factory:

Izhevsk IMEZ stands for Izhevskii Mechanicheskii Zavod or Izhevsk Mechanical Factory located in the city of Izhevsk near the Ural Mountains. Ishevsk is a city in Russia and lies 77 km northwest from Sarapul. Due to the influence of access of the river Ischa in the Urals , in 1760 were created there by the Russian count Schuwalow an iron goods factory, which manufactured mainly firearms, primarily cannons. In 1763 the factory was taken over by the Russian government and produces weapons to this day.

Just so I'm talking apples and apples, your sks IS in fact a Russian and not a Romanian?

jpattersonnh 02-04-2010 06:54 PM

It could be a late Izhevsk, but that would be unlikely. It would be a Model 1956, not 1959 Cugir. The Cugir arsenal stamp is also a triangle w/ and arrow, but the arrow has no flights. I included the arsenal stamps to help the OP clarify what he has. If it is a late 1950's Izhevsk, it would be rare.

ultamitducttape 02-04-2010 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well theres differences in the arrows...i made a drawing in paint and ill attach it to the repily also theres another mark that i didnt mention its in the top left corner close to the serial number it looks like a chinese symbol but its not looking under a magnifying glass it looks like an x with a line under it and a couple of even smaller symbols arond it

jpattersonnh 02-05-2010 11:44 AM

It is a M1956 Cugir. You don't see many that were not converted to 59..59/66 configuration. At least we don't here. Nice find.