romanian PSL?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > romanian PSL?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default romanian PSL?

Hey guys...I'm brand new here. I want to get a rifle for hunting but mostly for home defense. I've got 400 to 500 yards of open pasture to cover. I know shotguns and pistols are best for home defense and I have all that. I just need something to reach out there a little. I don't have a lot to spend maybe $1000. I was thinking on the Romanian PLS or the savage 110. Any advice?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

First off welcome to the forum, second I would get the Savage. More accurate and in more common calibers so you can get better hunting rounds easier.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #3

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Hunting is one thing. I want to point out though, that if you make a 400 yard "home defense" shot, you'll probably have a hard time backing that up in court.

For $1000 you can get a nice hunting rifle, and a nice pump shotgun (SD/HD), and ammo for both.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #4

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have a PSL and an older 110 and love them both.

However,
A PSL:
you are more limited in options for ammunition as it uses a relatively light bullet.
Parts for repairs can be found but finding a smith to work on a surplus rifle can be a challenge.
Limited scope options unless you mount an adapter.
It has reloading capability but you have to find reloadable brass. Most rounds are not reloadable but are actually old surplus.
Rounds are usually not found in chain stores, but only guns shops

.308 or equivalent 30cal rifle:
An average to nice .308 caliber leaves many more options that often cost less.
most any smith will work on one
you can get a used .308 bolt action at a low enough price to allow you to customize it to your needs and stay well under your $1000 limit.
You can find a .308 in the AR platform to get a semi-auto, but it will most likely go over the $1000 mark
rounds come in MANY MANY weights and powder loads from many manufacturers you can find ammunition in just about any place that sells ammo.
reloading is a breeze and you can load it to your wants with just about any configuration
scope mounting is fairly standardized.
Tons of accessories available if you go with the AR platform

Now,
If you a looking for a rifle to just shoot, that is accurate and fun, AND semi-auto is what you want, then a PSL is a great rifle since you can get stup for less than the $1000 mark.

Just my thoughts and good luck which ever way you go.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the help guys...I'm in no hurry so I'll shop around. BTW when I said home defense I was thinking if something happens where we don't have a government and its just chaos out there. God forbid it ever does but just being prepared. Thanks again!

Old 12-10-2012, 02:09 AM   #6

Liked 751 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

I sold a matching original PSL to a Mod here. Not all firearms are equal. The crap century arms is selling now is nothing compared w/ a matching original rifle as far as the PSL goes. I would suggest a semi auto for medium work, 200..300 yards and a bolt gun for longer work. I was shooting w/ some friends, I took out my wasr2 and a 30 round mag. When I was done, I was called a show off. Your talking 800.00++ AR's. They could not keep up. My rifle was smoken hot. 5.45x39 and 5.56x45 are pretty close. I could never get use to the sound of the spring in the AR. You'll hear how the 5.56/.223 is easier to find ammo for, but you can buy 5.45 for pretty cheap still and stock up. If you need a new rifle, take it off the dead MF you took out. Ammo also. More folks will be eating up the 5.56/.223 then 5.45 when it all hits the fan.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Right now I have an AK 7.62x39 with 5 30round mags. As far as medium range I can stop most anything. My dad got a fancy AR but he has jamming problems and such. I really love the AKs and cheap foreign guns because they never give me trouble and ammo is easy to get and cheap usually. I have pounded even rusting old ammo from my AK to get rid of it and it has never jammed. I love it. I wanna get a long range gun with the same qualities. Im not so sure on the DLS anymore...I've been reading of some troubles they have...just wondering...what you think of the mossin?

Old 12-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #8

Liked 751 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielalway View Post
Right now I have an AK 7.62x39 with 5 30round mags. As far as medium range I can stop most anything. My dad got a fancy AR but he has jamming problems and such. I really love the AKs and cheap foreign guns because they never give me trouble and ammo is easy to get and cheap usually. I have pounded even rusting old ammo from my AK to get rid of it and it has never jammed. I love it. I wanna get a long range gun with the same qualities. Im not so sure on the DLS anymore...I've been reading of some troubles they have...just wondering...what you think of the mossin?
The troubled ones are the Century built rifles. 91/30 is a good rifle if you have 3 guys shooting at the same 400 yards target. Don't get me wrong, they beat out a bat. If you find a rifle that will shoot 3-4" groups at 100 yards you should be just fine. Why not a Yugo 24/47?? Intermediate Mauser action, very accurate compared to other Battle rifles of the era. You can find nice ones for $269.00 still.

http://www.jgsales.com/yugoslavian-mauser-24-47-8x57-bolt-action-rifle-w-mismatched-bolt-receiver,-used,-very-good-condition-p-6408.html
https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-M24-47.html

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:19 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That is a beautiful gun! I'll look into one. My dad had Mauser 8mm when he was young. He had to sell it to help get my mom an engagement ring but he loved it. You know anything about putting a scope on it? I would probably have to drill a mount in right?

Old 12-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6035 Times on 3164 Posts
Likes Given: 433

i got jpatterson's psl and its a super nice sample. i only shoot reloads and winchester white out of it as i dont want to rust it up with surplus. accuracy is right at moa long as i keep the heat down. as a hunting gun it would be a bit long but a very good one on par with any 308 or 30-06. as a ohsht defense gun you cannot maintain a steady rate of fire. 2-3 shots and it really opens up a lot.

i would say get the savage 110 over the psl. the current crop of psl you find now just arent good even by rooskie standards

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...