Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Rolling block rebarrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rolling block rebarrel - UPDATED & PIC HEAVY

I have a Remington Rolling Block that is in pretty nice condition...action wise. I would like to rebarrel it and I'm not really finding a whole lot as to what is actually intailed. Most I see are rebarreled in 45.70. Is this due to the amount of work needed done to the extractor? Is this still a blackpowder cartridge or are they using smokeless? I've seen others that I'm sure are smokeless so I just wonder what the limit would be in this action. If anyone can offer some advice here that would be great. If anyone has done such a project and wants to throw some pics up...awesome!

Thanks!

Teach a child to shoot, it may save a life someday!

Last edited by Nozzlehead; 02-22-2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: pics added

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #2

Liked 861 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzlehead View Post
I have a Remington Rolling Block that is in pretty nice condition...action wise. I would like to rebarrel it and I'm not really finding a whole lot as to what is actually intailed. Most I see are rebarreled in 45.70. Is this due to the amount of work needed done to the extractor? Is this still a blackpowder cartridge or are they using smokeless? I've seen others that I'm sure are smokeless so I just wonder what the limit would be in this action. If anyone can offer some advice here that would be great. If anyone has done such a project and wants to throw some pics up...awesome!

Thanks!
What's yours chambered in??? Cuz some still shoot BP and some have been converted to smokeless powders

Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #3

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Alot depends on which action you have. A #5 smokeless action? Or an older action made for black powder cartridges(which are the ones most commonly seen)? Many of the smokeless action ones were made in 7 mm Mauser for the military in several countries. They can be re-barreled into many non-magnum calibers. The older ones should stick with low-power calibers (38-55, 45-70, 50-95, 32-40, etc). If you go 45-70 you can not use any of the hot loads like they use in the Ruger #1 rifles. Years ago I made a nice semi-custom rifle for myself with a #5 action. I did 7mm with some nice figured walnut stocks and a 24 inch barrel. I used it for elk and mule deer.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #4

Thanks for the help so far gents. I believe I have a #1. I was in the process of doing some more research on it (didn't know about the early & late models) when I had some of the worse news. My gunsmith, my friend, who just retired from his seat in the county court the end of Dec. had a massive heart attack and passed away last week. He was a man among men. Though he was 30+ years my senior, we had much in common. He was part of an artillery unit that did Civil War shooting with cannons. The really cool part, he built everything he shot. He had a shop that would make Larry Potterfield drool. Even though he is gone, I'm still going to continue with "our" project. I will get some pics loaded in the next few days so we can see exactly what I have. Meanwhile, I need a new gunsmith.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #5

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzlehead View Post
Thanks for the help so far gents. I believe I have a #1. I was in the process of doing some more research on it (didn't know about the early & late models) when I had some of the worse news. My gunsmith, my friend, who just retired from his seat in the county court the end of Dec. had a massive heart attack and passed away last week. He was a man among men. Though he was 30+ years my senior, we had much in common. He was part of an artillery unit that did Civil War shooting with cannons. The really cool part, he built everything he shot. He had a shop that would make Larry Potterfield drool. Even though he is gone, I'm still going to continue with "our" project. I will get some pics loaded in the next few days so we can see exactly what I have. Meanwhile, I need a new gunsmith.
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of a good friend of yours. Have fun doing this project maybe you could engrave it as a memorial type thing for him.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #6

"maybe you could engrave it as a memorial type thing for him"...already planning that. I'm looking into a custom brass medallion with an inscription of sorts that I can recess in the stock.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #7

OK, If this works I have some pics for ya. Here's the first part...

Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #8

Well, that worked. Here's the rest...

Old 02-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #9

So, what do ya think? The date by the cresent looks like 1914. I'm guessing that may be an acceptance stamp and date...??? Tell me what tells you which item points out the model if ya will. I'm leaning towards a #1.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:53 AM   #10

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

All those chambered in 43 Spanish and 43 Egyptian were #1 actions.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.