Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Rolling block rebarrel (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/rolling-block-rebarrel-82718/)

Nozzlehead 01-28-2013 09:46 PM

Rolling block rebarrel - UPDATED & PIC HEAVY

I have a Remington Rolling Block that is in pretty nice condition...action wise. I would like to rebarrel it and I'm not really finding a whole lot as to what is actually intailed. Most I see are rebarreled in 45.70. Is this due to the amount of work needed done to the extractor? Is this still a blackpowder cartridge or are they using smokeless? I've seen others that I'm sure are smokeless so I just wonder what the limit would be in this action. If anyone can offer some advice here that would be great. If anyone has done such a project and wants to throw some pics up...awesome!

Thanks!

Marlinman 01-28-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nozzlehead (Post 1113963)
I have a Remington Rolling Block that is in pretty nice condition...action wise. I would like to rebarrel it and I'm not really finding a whole lot as to what is actually intailed. Most I see are rebarreled in 45.70. Is this due to the amount of work needed done to the extractor? Is this still a blackpowder cartridge or are they using smokeless? I've seen others that I'm sure are smokeless so I just wonder what the limit would be in this action. If anyone can offer some advice here that would be great. If anyone has done such a project and wants to throw some pics up...awesome!

Thanks!

What's yours chambered in??? Cuz some still shoot BP and some have been converted to smokeless powders

hiwall 01-28-2013 10:07 PM

Alot depends on which action you have. A #5 smokeless action? Or an older action made for black powder cartridges(which are the ones most commonly seen)? Many of the smokeless action ones were made in 7 mm Mauser for the military in several countries. They can be re-barreled into many non-magnum calibers. The older ones should stick with low-power calibers (38-55, 45-70, 50-95, 32-40, etc). If you go 45-70 you can not use any of the hot loads like they use in the Ruger #1 rifles. Years ago I made a nice semi-custom rifle for myself with a #5 action. I did 7mm with some nice figured walnut stocks and a 24 inch barrel. I used it for elk and mule deer.

Nozzlehead 02-11-2013 01:29 PM

Thanks for the help so far gents. I believe I have a #1. I was in the process of doing some more research on it (didn't know about the early & late models) when I had some of the worse news. My gunsmith, my friend, who just retired from his seat in the county court the end of Dec. had a massive heart attack and passed away last week. He was a man among men. Though he was 30+ years my senior, we had much in common. He was part of an artillery unit that did Civil War shooting with cannons. The really cool part, he built everything he shot. He had a shop that would make Larry Potterfield drool. Even though he is gone, I'm still going to continue with "our" project. I will get some pics loaded in the next few days so we can see exactly what I have. Meanwhile, I need a new gunsmith.

Garadex 02-11-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nozzlehead (Post 1133247)
Thanks for the help so far gents. I believe I have a #1. I was in the process of doing some more research on it (didn't know about the early & late models) when I had some of the worse news. My gunsmith, my friend, who just retired from his seat in the county court the end of Dec. had a massive heart attack and passed away last week. He was a man among men. Though he was 30+ years my senior, we had much in common. He was part of an artillery unit that did Civil War shooting with cannons. The really cool part, he built everything he shot. He had a shop that would make Larry Potterfield drool. Even though he is gone, I'm still going to continue with "our" project. I will get some pics loaded in the next few days so we can see exactly what I have. Meanwhile, I need a new gunsmith.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of a good friend of yours. Have fun doing this project maybe you could engrave it as a memorial type thing for him.

Nozzlehead 02-11-2013 06:09 PM

"maybe you could engrave it as a memorial type thing for him"...already planning that. I'm looking into a custom brass medallion with an inscription of sorts that I can recess in the stock.

Nozzlehead 02-14-2013 11:47 PM

10 Attachment(s)
OK, If this works I have some pics for ya. Here's the first part...

Nozzlehead 02-14-2013 11:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well, that worked. Here's the rest...

Nozzlehead 02-14-2013 11:56 PM

So, what do ya think? The date by the cresent looks like 1914. I'm guessing that may be an acceptance stamp and date...??? Tell me what tells you which item points out the model if ya will. I'm leaning towards a #1.

hiwall 02-15-2013 02:53 AM

All those chambered in 43 Spanish and 43 Egyptian were #1 actions.