Rifle Identification
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Rifle Identification

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rifle Identification

Hello everyone! I found this forum after a quick google search and was hoping that someone here could help me. I was recently left a few rifles after the passing of a family member and can't seem to get a grasp on what one of them is. I believe it to be a mauser although when it was made, where it was made, what it is chambered in, etc has eluded me. If anyone could tell me anything about this rifle I would greatly appreciate it.

Sorry about the picture quality, I had to take them on my phone. If you need any different pictures just ask. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Left side

Left side Cont'

Right side

Right side Cont'

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #2

Default Pictures Cont'

Underside

Top zoom

Left side zoom

Old 04-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Looks to be a Sporterized Nazi K98.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #4

So I assume that means it's an 8mm mauser? Can you tell me anything about it's value or how I can figure out where it was made and what year it was made?

Old 04-22-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9555 Times on 4112 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Your Mauser 98 was made in 1943. BNZ code Mausers were made by the Steyr factory under the Nazi control of Austria. These were ORIGINALLY made in 8mm Mauser- MANY were coverted to other cartridges. If converted, it SHOULD be marked with the new caliber- but that did not always happen. (Insert rant on ethics of gunsmithing here) Please DO have a smith check it before firing anything- if needed, he can make a chamber casting using a product called Cerro-safe that, when measured, gives the definitive answer to "what caliber is it?"

By Sporterized, it means that a collectable military rifle has been changed to a civilian stock, and sporting uses, losing is colelctor's value. It now has value as a shooter. Only. Values on MOST sporterized milsurp rifles are fairly low- $150-$200 range, but some custom conversions CAN be worth more.

As a legacy from a friend- priceless.

BTW- welcome to the forum- good folks around here. When you get a minute, stop by the intro section and say howdy.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:43 AM   #6

Liked 749 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Steyr 1943. Some were rechambered to 8mm06, but if it is original it is 8x57. Great hunting cartridge, just don't use U.S. made ammo. Where is the front sight? It looks like someone ran out of $ sporterizing it.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:00 AM   #7

Thanks for the responses guys. I can't tell you where the front site is. The rifle was left to me and as such I know nothing about it.

Also on an unrelated note, I also was left a winchester 95 chambered in 30 Gov't 03. I understand that the specific cartridge was only used from 03 until the 30-06 came into existence. Is it possible to find 30-03 ammunition anymore? If so where could I do so?

Old 04-22-2011, 01:06 AM   #8

.30-03 is the same as .30-06 without a jacketed spitzer bullet. Your other rifle pre-dated 03 if I remember correctly. .30-40 Krag.... .30 U.S.
.30-40 Krag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to make the Steyr a good hunter, I'll help you. I love Mausers.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
.30-03 is the same as .30-06 without a jacketed spitzer bullet. Your other rifle pre-dated 03 if I remember correctly. .30-40 Krag.... .30 U.S.
.30-40 Krag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to make the Steyr a good hunter, I'll help you. I love Mausers.
The 95 will need a lot of TLC before it's fired. Not that it wasn't taken care of well, you can tell that it hasn't been cleaned in a while though. I don't quite understand what you are saying about the .30-03 though. I apologize if I'm being ignorant but my firearms knowledge is pretty rudimentary. That's not to say I don't know my way around a rifle or handgun, I'm just not an expert.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLesinski View Post
The 95 will need a lot of TLC before it's fired. Not that it wasn't taken care of well, you can tell that it hasn't been cleaned in a while though. I don't quite understand what you are saying about the .30-03 though. I apologize if I'm being ignorant but my firearms knowledge is pretty rudimentary. That's not to say I don't know my way around a rifle or handgun, I'm just not an expert.
Sorry buddy, I thought it was you that posted about a 1899 M1895, it was Trez in the Modern rifle section. It is not often that 2 pop up on a forum at the same time.
30-03 Loaded Ammunition - 30-03 Government 220 Grain This is NOT 30-06 Ammo!!
Model 1895