replacing the front site post on mosin nagant
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > replacing the front site post on mosin nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default replacing the front site post on mosin nagant

Can anyone tell me how to replace the front site post on a mosin nagant?
I've got a 1931 hex head nagant, it shoots like a match rifle, but I have to aim two feet below the black to get my groups. Tight ass groups by the way 3" at 100 yards, off the bench. After trial and error, I determined my front site post must have been ground down a little too much, so instead of replacing the whole front sight, I was wondering if theres anyway to just replace the post.

Those that do not study history are doomed to repeat it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #2

Liked 1816 Times on 1011 Posts
Likes Given: 1196

Actually most of them do hit really high at 100 yards. Mine was zeroed at somewhere around 400 yards. I did a sporterize on it at home. Yea, yea, someone is going to say how stupid it was. I cut and recrowned my barrel to 19 inches and cut and refinished my stock. I put a forward mounted scope on it a couple hours ago.

If you want to spend $65 you can get an adjustable peep sight for it at midwayusa.com. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/322728/mojo-micro-click-rear-ghost-ring-sight-mosin-nagant-91-30-91-59-steel-blue

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalo59 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to replace the front site post on a mosin nagant?
I've got a 1931 hex head nagant, it shoots like a match rifle, but I have to aim two feet below the black to get my groups. Tight ass groups by the way 3" at 100 yards, off the bench. After trial and error, I determined my front site post must have been ground down a little too much, so instead of replacing the whole front sight, I was wondering if theres anyway to just replace the post.
They all shoot high...a piece of electrical wire shrink tube or a hollow Q-tip shaft can be added to the post then shortened to get a true zero. Added benefit of raising the post is that you can customize it to a more comfortable cheek weld position without having the rear sight level with the receiver. For example, you can lengthen the front sight post so that the rifle is zeroed at 100 yds with the rear sight raised to the 600 or 800 meter position if that is a more comfortable shooting position for you.

http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2009/01/9130-mosin-rifle-front-sight-fix.html

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 11-25-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #4

Likes Given: 1

Awesome ideas Jpyle, Rick, I'll check out midway arms like you said too. Thanks guys.

Those that do not study history are doomed to repeat it.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #5

try putting on the bayonet lol sounds funny but mine shot high left then i put on the bayonet and it was shooting dead on at 200 yards.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #6

Liked 1380 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Slip a piece of insulation off of electrical wire over the post and adjust it as necessary. I have seen some replacement post, I believe on ebay. I have never changed one, but you must have to drift the sight off of the sight base and replace it from the bottom.

There is also a small company who makes replacement sights with all kinds of lengths and colors. These sights are also on ebay.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #7

Liked 702 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 720

Good sights!!!
http://www.mojosights.com/order.html

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.