Repairs for my Czech 98K Mauser
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Repairs for my Czech 98K Mauser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default Repairs for my Czech 98K Mauser

I purchased a Czech 98K Mauser a couple of months ago and have finally had time to tear it down and clean it before I go to the range.

After disassembly I notice the barrel is pitted on the outside and when cleaning the barrel it looks pitted inside and needs to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can get a new barrel and have it installed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2010, 05:31 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

is it a original or a remake?

Old 12-27-2010, 05:33 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

My suggestion is to take it to the range and shoot it before considering a re-barrel. Some of the old battle rifles are surprisingly accurate even with barrels that look like damaged sewer pipes. This may be one of them.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-27-2010, 05:36 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
My suggestion is to take it to the range and shoot it before considering a re-barrel. Some of the old battle rifles are surprisingly accurate even with barrels that look like damaged sewer pipes. This may be one of them.
I agree. Many of my old milsurps shoot great with barrels that should have been trashed years ago.

What kind of shape is it in otherwise?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-27-2010, 05:49 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Honeslty if it still shoot striaght and works I would leave it alone like the guys above me said. But if you really want something new I would talk to a local competent gun smith and see if he can make you a new barrel.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I am not sure if it is an original or remake.

The side of the reciever looks like an old sewer pipe, but not as bad as the barrel. I have had a lot of old military rifles, Enfields, Moisn Nagants, 03's, but this is my first Mauser and I was hopping I did not get screwed. The gun shop owner here is a hit and miss type of guy. SOMETIMES he will work with you but not to often, even his regular's have second thought's at time.

I should have taken pictures of the barrel and reciever but did not think about it till it was in my safe. When I get back I will take pictures of it and post them.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #7

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

1st off, there is no remake!! Clean the barrel and shoot her. It may really suprise you. Now if you do need a new/used barrel, http://www.sarcoinc.com/mauser.html#4

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:56 AM   #8

Use some old #9 and a bore snake, you should be just fine.

2B1ASK1

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

Old 03-28-2011, 04:11 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I finally had time to tear down my Czech Mauser and found that the bottom of the barrel was pitted in some areas and it is worse in other areas. I have never come across a rifle like this in this kind of condition, any suggestions or comments? If I get time I will dig it out of my safe and post some pictures.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #10

Likes Given: 2

I agree with CA357, just shoot it.

Is it in 8mm or 7.62 NATO?? Alot of the Czech 98k's are Israeli guns.

You should post some pics so we can drool.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST