Remington target rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Remington target rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington target rifle

I inherited a remington 32-40 rifle and I am trying to learn more about it. The only info stamped on it is Remington Arms, Ilion NY, Heburns Pat. October 7th 1879. I suspect it might be a custom gun. Has a half octogon barrel, peep sight and brass butt plate. It may have been used at the local German American Club shooting events around the turn of the century. There is a name for these events that I cannot recall. I'd like to learn anything about the gun and whether it might have particular value. I inherited a scope at the same time which I had no use for and put it up on ebay. It quickly sold for $1,500 because the mounts were made by Henry Pope - was I ever suprised. I am torn between keeping the gun because it is really unusual and selling, but I don't want to sell and fine out it was more special than I knew. I'll try to attach a photo and have others.

Any info would be really appreciated. Thanks

dsc_0279.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

First I can't believe you sold the scope for this. That would have added $2000 to $3000 to the already crazy price of the rifle.

You have a Remington Hepburn rifle. They go for anywhere between $6000 and $10,000.

Once I get home I can tell you more about it. I believe it is a Hepburn #3 rifle..... No it is not a custom gun per-say it is just old accurate as all get out and very much collectible.

First thing I would do is call the buyer of the scope and offer to double his money to get it back.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #3

Actually the scope didn't go with this rifle and it was not in very good condition.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #4

By the way thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. If you know more I'd appreciate hearing it. I also have more photos if you are curious. You are certainly correct about it shooting accurately, shells are quite expensive though.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:51 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2251 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 3512

That is a beautiful gun. Do not fire jacketed ammo in that gun. It may quickly ruin the barrel.

Last edited by alsaqr; 04-13-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #6

With the one think of ammo running $41 a box of 20 I would start reloading if you want to shoot it.

the 32-40 Ballard (AKA 32-40 WCF) was designed to be a blackpowder target round. So you may want to look at loading black powder in it. It always looks cool to shoot and throw a big puff of blue gray smoke.....

Old 08-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #7

Default Selling a Remington Hepburn

I posted a thead a while back asking folks about my remington hepburn rifle. I appreciate the relies. I am reluctantly thinking I should sell it to buy something more practical. As you probably guessed I am pretty new to this stuff. Any suggestion on how to go about selling to get the best value, auctions, local store any idea apprecaited thanks

Old 08-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clippking View Post
I posted a thead a while back asking folks about my remington hepburn rifle. I appreciate the relies. I am reluctantly thinking I should sell it to buy something more practical. As you probably guessed I am pretty new to this stuff. Any suggestion on how to go about selling to get the best value, auctions, local store any idea apprecaited thanks

If you are dead set on selling this rifle, I recommend an auction site. Not many stores are going to give you near what it's worth. I suggest you have it appraised then set a reserve at a reasonable price close to the appraised value.

Good luck

Old 08-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #9

Thanks, sounds like you think I shouldn't sell it and I gotta say I am hesitant, but I just don't use it. What auction site do you like? There are a lot of them.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:52 AM   #10

To me that is a rifle you don't shoot much. What you do is put it in the back of the gun safe and get it out once in a while to oil up. You don't have to shoot it a lot.

Your not going to get much anything today that has as much class as one of them. You can get about 8 to 9 Remington or Savage rifles for that one.

I would keep it and make it a pass down rifle myself.