Remington Model 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Remington Model 8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Remington Model 8

Ok Gents and those of our lovely lady's that have input here. I've got an opportunity to pick up a Model 8 Remington. It's in rough shape finish wise got a non factory screw on the magazine hold and is not fully resetting the trigger when manually manipulating the action. Question being is it worth the pick up if I get it cheap enough? Right now his price is $200 he might go cheaper but haven't got to that point yet. I appreciate the help on this. Ok ...... Go

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1950 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 995

A tough one to answer, sight unseen. What caliber? If it is other than 35 Remington, I'd walk away for any money. Because even restored, it will be an expensive PIA to get the ammo for and shoot. What do you want to do with it? If you are a collector, forget everything I just said, I only speak from a shooter's perspective. If you want it because of the classic Browning long recoil action, I am with you. Are you up to restoring it? If you are, this may be it. The price is pocket money compared to the Model 8's I've seen at gun shows, $400+ in fair condition, or $1000++ in good condition I've only seen on the Internet.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #3

Liked 286 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 42

The modal 8 is pump-action right?

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Old 11-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1950 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 995

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK97 View Post
The modal 8 is pump-action right?
Semi-auto.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #5

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Mercator is right, not enough info. $200 seems cheap but I haven't seen the gun. My self I would likely give $150 for any Model 8 without seeing it.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yes I'm a collector got my 03 and everything. It is 35 rem but I too am a shooter I believe a collection of firearms are firearms that are shooters I am considering it for the restoration because as is I don't think its worth much more than the history but that's a big piece of history to own. I'm not that much on making a profit on it. I don't sell my firearms because I usually end up regretting it later down the road. Still I don't want to waste my time and money if I pick it up a couple hundred and then can't get even that out. You get what I'm saying? If you do can you explain it to me

Jesse James

Old 11-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
Mercator is right, not enough info. $200 seems cheap but I haven't seen the gun. My self I would likely give $150 for any Model 8 without seeing it.
Like I said its rough on the finish and would need to be refinished I think to gain back any value. There's some decent corrosion that once cleaned could end up as moderate pitting. If you had the shot at 150 you'd buy it?

Jesse James

Old 11-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1577 Times on 964 Posts
Likes Given: 8154

Wiseman. I say go for it, but make an offer of $125 when you do. This will leave room to negotiate for both of you. the plus side is that it is a .35 Remington, so ammo will be easy to find, and it should be a fun restoration project.

Bear in mind that this advice is coming from somebody who has just started collecting Arisaka's so take it for what it is worth. Lack of easy to find ammo is not a deterrent for me. I love a challenge, and I like oddball firearms.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Trez Likes This 
Old 11-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75
Wiseman. I say go for it, but make an offer of $125 when you do. This will leave room to negotiate for both of you. the plus side is that it is a .35 Remington, so ammo will be easy to find, and it should be a fun restoration project. Bear in mind that this advice is coming from somebody who has just started collecting Arisaka's so take it for what it is worth. Lack of easy to find ammo is not a deterrent for me. I love a challenge, and I like oddball firearms.
I hear ya Ariskas are on the list. I appreciate the advise from all of you. Got some thinking to do probably followed by some talking.

Jesse James

Old 11-06-2013, 02:02 AM   #10
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1577 Times on 964 Posts
Likes Given: 8154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman3 View Post
I hear ya Ariskas are on the list. I appreciate the advise from all of you. Got some thinking to do probably followed by some talking.
Good luck buddy.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?