Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Remington Model 8 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/remington-model-8-a-99983/)

Wiseman3 11-05-2013 09:54 PM

Remington Model 8

Ok Gents and those of our lovely lady's that have input here. I've got an opportunity to pick up a Model 8 Remington. It's in rough shape finish wise got a non factory screw on the magazine hold and is not fully resetting the trigger when manually manipulating the action. Question being is it worth the pick up if I get it cheap enough? Right now his price is $200 he might go cheaper but haven't got to that point yet. I appreciate the help on this. Ok ...... Go

Mercator 11-05-2013 10:30 PM

A tough one to answer, sight unseen. What caliber? If it is other than 35 Remington, I'd walk away for any money. Because even restored, it will be an expensive PIA to get the ammo for and shoot. What do you want to do with it? If you are a collector, forget everything I just said, I only speak from a shooter's perspective. If you want it because of the classic Browning long recoil action, I am with you. Are you up to restoring it? If you are, this may be it. The price is pocket money compared to the Model 8's I've seen at gun shows, $400+ in fair condition, or $1000++ in good condition I've only seen on the Internet.

SRK97 11-05-2013 10:37 PM

The modal 8 is pump-action right?

Mercator 11-05-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRK97 (Post 1423818)
The modal 8 is pump-action right?

Semi-auto.

hiwall 11-05-2013 11:33 PM

Mercator is right, not enough info. $200 seems cheap but I haven't seen the gun. My self I would likely give $150 for any Model 8 without seeing it.

Wiseman3 11-05-2013 11:34 PM

Yes I'm a collector got my 03 and everything. It is 35 rem but I too am a shooter I believe a collection of firearms are firearms that are shooters I am considering it for the restoration because as is I don't think its worth much more than the history but that's a big piece of history to own. I'm not that much on making a profit on it. I don't sell my firearms because I usually end up regretting it later down the road. Still I don't want to waste my time and money if I pick it up a couple hundred and then can't get even that out. You get what I'm saying? If you do can you explain it to me :)

Wiseman3 11-05-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall
Mercator is right, not enough info. $200 seems cheap but I haven't seen the gun. My self I would likely give $150 for any Model 8 without seeing it.

Like I said its rough on the finish and would need to be refinished I think to gain back any value. There's some decent corrosion that once cleaned could end up as moderate pitting. If you had the shot at 150 you'd buy it?

kfox75 11-05-2013 11:54 PM

Wiseman. I say go for it, but make an offer of $125 when you do. This will leave room to negotiate for both of you. the plus side is that it is a .35 Remington, so ammo will be easy to find, and it should be a fun restoration project.

Bear in mind that this advice is coming from somebody who has just started collecting Arisaka's so take it for what it is worth. Lack of easy to find ammo is not a deterrent for me. I love a challenge, and I like oddball firearms.

Wiseman3 11-06-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfox75
Wiseman. I say go for it, but make an offer of $125 when you do. This will leave room to negotiate for both of you. the plus side is that it is a .35 Remington, so ammo will be easy to find, and it should be a fun restoration project. Bear in mind that this advice is coming from somebody who has just started collecting Arisaka's so take it for what it is worth. Lack of easy to find ammo is not a deterrent for me. I love a challenge, and I like oddball firearms.

I hear ya Ariskas are on the list. I appreciate the advise from all of you. Got some thinking to do probably followed by some talking. :D

kfox75 11-06-2013 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiseman3 (Post 1423967)
I hear ya Ariskas are on the list. I appreciate the advise from all of you. Got some thinking to do probably followed by some talking. :D

Good luck buddy.