Remington model 1902 rolling block
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion >

Remington model 1902 rolling block

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default Remington model 1902 rolling block

I just bought a Remington 1902 rolling block rifle chambered in 7mm Mauser on Gunbroker. My collection didn't include RB and by golly it needed one. I have been doing some reading and of course opinions on the net vary widely. Some say the the chambers were cut a little longer than modern ammo specs causing a headspace issue. Some say its not the chamber but flex in the action that can cause stretched cases and possible failure. And of course some say buy factory ammo, go forth and be happy. I'm leaning toward handloading my ammo on the light side. Then you get into using 7mm Mauser brass and neck sizing just enough so the action will close making a false shoulder and fire forming to fit the chamber then after the first time, just neck size. Then there is the school that say about the same but use 270 Win. Brass or even using surplus 30-06 brass. I have plenty of both. I would be interested opinions?

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Last edited by string1946; 04-28-2014 at 12:17 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-28-2014, 12:31 AM   #2

Liked 849 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 257

I had one of those for many years. Yes mine would shoot factory loads but did have the normal chamber issues. I reloaded all my ammo for it and only neck sized them. Mine liked 160 grain bullets the best but about 1-1/4" groups were as good as I could get out of it. Took some mule deer deer with it. When I got it the trigger pull was 13 lbs.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:47 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3700 Times on 1782 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

String,

Fantastic find! Also where is the pics!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-28-2014, 01:10 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
String,

Fantastic find! Also where is the pics!

I just bought it today and won't have it in my grubby little hands till probably early next week. Pics to follow as soon as possible.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis
People Like This 
Old 04-28-2014, 01:26 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
I had one of those for many years. Yes mine would shoot factory loads but did have the normal chamber issues. I reloaded all my ammo for it and only neck sized them. Mine liked 160 grain bullets the best but about 1-1/4" groups were as good as I could get out of it. Took some mule deer deer with it. When I got it the trigger pull was 13 lbs.
Thanks hiwall. Did you do any thing to your trigger? I have read of grinding the trigger and or hammer spring narrower but as long as it doesn't take two hands to pull the trigger I'll probably leave it alone. I just have personal issues modifying any old soldiers. If they come to me original I usually leave them that way unless they are so bad I can't avoid giving them a little help. I like to get the feel of what the original users experenced.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-28-2014, 03:11 AM   #6

Liked 849 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946 View Post
Thanks hiwall. Did you do any thing to your trigger? I have read of grinding the trigger and or hammer spring narrower but as long as it doesn't take two hands to pull the trigger I'll probably leave it alone. I just have personal issues modifying any old soldiers. If they come to me original I usually leave them that way unless they are so bad I can't avoid giving them a little help. I like to get the feel of what the original users experenced.
I redid (customized) the one I had. I shortened the barrel, drilled and tapped for a scope, put on fancy wood, did a trigger job the whole 9 yards. To each their own.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:11 AM   #7

Liked 114 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Fun old smokepole

I had a Mexican rolling block several winters ago. As it was primarily issued to 'Rurales' - the 'rural' and therefore non-regular troops in some senses of the word - the rifles were intended to be shot with issued ammo and reloading wasn't an issue. Also, the Mexican government of the time left the triggers heavy for safety purposes. The one I had was pretty safe.

My intent was to use it for 'Cowboy' shooting in the single shot rifle category.

I loaded it with jacketed bullets of 175 grain weight, as that was the 'standard' loading, but kept pressures and velocities on the low end. Between the coarse sights and the trigger pull, accuracy was more or less 'minute of fat guy'. It would shoot - sights, trigger pull and all - in the 6 MOA range. I don't recall the exact powder charge I used, but it was the slowest powder I could get that would still operate correctly and give reasonable velocities. Slower powder tends to generate a gentler pressure curve and therefore less strain on older guns. (Newer ones as well, for that matter.) If I recall correctly it was IMR 4831 or H4831 and the lowest safe charge in the manual.

I never fooled with the trigger. It was just on the edge between 'heavy' and 'absurd'.
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 05-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ok here are some pictures. Its really in better shape than it looked like in the pictures on Gunbroker. I have no idea of its history as there are no markings on it other than the ones in the pictures and a U on the barrel bands. It has a bayonet lug so it is military from somewhere I just don't know where. I know some were used in Mexico
20140508_161243.jpg   20140508_161421.jpg   20140508_161255.jpg   20140508_161303.jpg   20140508_161309.jpg  

20140508_161327.jpg   20140508_161337.jpg   20140508_161436.jpg  

People Like This 
Old 05-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #9
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2657 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 14690

Looks good String. If you are worried about what it will handle, take it to a smith and have the headspace checked. i don't have a rolling block yet, but I am familiar with the 7X57 MM rounds. I run mostly commercial 160 to 175 grain 7 mm in my 1916 Spanish short rifle with no issues, and it is a pattern 1 (built from an existing 1893 rifle), so factory loads should be no issue if all check s out.

Enjoy your new rifle, and looking forward to a range report when you get time.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Looks good String. If you are worried about what it will handle, take it to a smith and have the headspace checked. i don't have a rolling block yet, but I am familiar with the 7X57 MM rounds. I run mostly commercial 160 to 175 grain 7 mm in my 1916 Spanish short rifle with no issues, and it is a pattern 1 (built from an existing 1893 rifle), so factory loads should be no issue if all check s out.

Enjoy your new rifle, and looking forward to a range report when you get time.
Thanks. The trigger is heavy but managable. Maybe I should have a contest to see if anyone can guess how many spent primers are in the half gallon jar in the background but then I'm not counting those suckers but it does weigh 12 pounds.