Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Recommendation for book on Service Revolvers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Recommendation for book on Service Revolvers

I am looking for a book on 19th/early 20th. Century service revolvers for the libaray, not a coffee table book but a suggestion for a good reference volume.....Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #2

Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I've waited for replies also. To my knowledge none has been written dealing with service revolvers only. Ian Hogg covers them to some degree in his "Small Arms of the Twentieth Century" ( I believe that is the title) but does not go into great detail. Late Nineteenth Century guns are covered in that they were still in use into the Twentieth Century. Mr. Hogg also has a few coffee table books that include these revovlers and pistols.

However, they are relative scant in details. The NRA books of Firearms Disassembly for pistols and revolvers gives some sidelight data for a number of these guns as well.

I've got an idea: Why don't you buy up a quantity of these guns, buy or fabricate the ammunition for them, test them out, and write the book?

Bob Wright

Old 10-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #3

Tell you what, why don't you as you are in the position of acquiring and owning unlimited numbers of firearms? I will then be able to buy an autographed copy from you.........................

Old 10-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Tell you what, why don't you as you are in the position of acquiring and owning unlimited numbers of firearms? I will then be able to buy an autographed copy from you.........................

Yeah, right! As soon as my next Social Security comes in................

Maybe one at a time, in the Firearms Knowledge forum?

Bob Wright

Old 10-31-2008, 01:45 PM   #5

Boris,

You have piqued my interest. Just what type of information are you looking for, and which service revolvers? American, British, European? What time period, cartridge or cap-and-ball?

As to American service revolvers, they are the same, except for finish, as revolvers sold commercially. Anything said for most Colt or S&W guns would apply to their military counterparts. And, most shooters of any age will have experience with the British Webleys and Enfields sold in such numbers prior to GCA '68. Certainly doesn't seem to be an insurmountable task.

Bob Wright

Old 10-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
Boris,

You have piqued my interest. Just what type of information are you looking for, and which service revolvers? American, British, European? What time period, cartridge or cap-and-ball?

As to American service revolvers, they are the same, except for finish, as revolvers sold commercially. Anything said for most Colt or S&W guns would apply to their military counterparts. And, most shooters of any age will have experience with the British Webleys and Enfields sold in such numbers prior to GCA '68. Certainly doesn't seem to be an insurmountable task.

Bob Wright
Bob

I have a fairly good working knowledge in breadth but not depth and I am looking of reference material from say 1800 to 1914. European which will no doubt must include American made revolvers as so many where either Goverment or private purchase from about 1850'ish................

Shortly before I left the UK an old pal of mine and collector Ralph Faulkner (Ralph was the best ferret of rare and odd guns I have ever known, he had a gift for turning stuff up) called me over to his house. He showed me a cased Colt SAA fitted with lanyard ring, English cased in 450 calibre. A family had found in in the possessions of an elderly relative and had supplied written provenience.

The revolver was a private purchase by a gentleman in 1915 for his 18 year old son who was a Sub. Lt. in the British Army due to be posted to the Western Front. The son thanked his father but explained that the service calibre of the British Army had changed since his father's service and was now 455 and although he appreciated the gift he could not take it with him on active service in France. Well you guessed it within three weeks the young officer was dead and the father could never bring himself to even look at the revolver.......what a find. Sadly the revolver ended up being handed in for destruction during the last armistice......................

Old 11-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #7

O.K. I have a considerable amount of data, as a cartridge collector, of the arms and ammunition used over the period. i do have a lot of information of military revolvers of the period, but it is contained in many different sources. Also have had some hands on experience with the Colt M1909 and M1917 revolvers.

By service revolvers, I had assumed you meant official issue revolvers such as the Webleys and ordnance revolvers of each nation. Certainly private purchase would run the full field.

If you do come across any such publication, I'd like to know.

Bob Wright