Received PO form and info fomr CMP
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Received PO form and info fomr CMP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Received PO form and info fomr CMP

I do not want to buy a service grade rifle and then have to pay Gander Mtns gunsmith to take it apart, repair, put in new parts, etc, in order to have a shooting Garand. I would like the buy 1000 rifle that has a new barrell and stock and some new parts (American), i.e., it wouldn't be a collector's rifle, but don't care. I just want an M1 Garand. It may look a little fancy for some, but my friends would not know the difference, though people on the range would. PS I am a life-time member of the VFW and DAV and have been a Past Commander of Bismarck,ND's large Americn Legion post, so I guess I don't need to join a special club. I could still be talked into the "service Grande rifles, but doubt it". thank you for your help. Maybe I'm a, what do you call it, a wanna be. Nothing wrong with that is there.

Protect your home and family, it only takes an ounce or two (or 230 GR)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The meaning of your post is somewhat muddled. If you feel that we have pushed you towards buying a CMP rifle, it was with the intention of helping you obtain a quality M1 for a reasonable price.

It's your money, buy what you want. However don't be offended by answers that you may not have liked. If you ask a question here, you will most likely get an answer. If you don't want that, then don't ask the question in the first place.

Thank you for your Military service. You are among brothers here.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-18-2010, 02:09 AM   #3

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

By definition, a CMP "service grade" rifle means exactly that. It means the rifle has been inspected, and any unserviceable parts have been replaced with serviceable (not necessarily NEW) parts. The rifle is also test fired and checked for proper function. It means the rifle is in good enough condition to be issued to the troops, eg. fit for service - safe to fire. Will it be a target grade match rifle? - NO.

By all means, if you want a rifle with a pretty stock and a new barrel, then go for it. Spend your money as you wish. We don't care - really.
We do require pictures though....

Quote:
If you feel that we have pushed you towards buying a CMP rifle, it was with the intention of helping you obtain a quality M1 for a reasonable price.
Ditto that.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:33 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Definately pictures...the Garand is one of my favorites and on my list, along with some 2000 rounds of 30.06 ball ammo.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:55 AM   #5

You can buy Boyds new stock for about $200 ~ $300 and get all the parts reparkerized or refinished.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #6

I always buy the service grade Garands and the have bought the same grade in .30 Carbines (5). Some the metal parts and finish are like new, with only the wood being rough and dented pretty hard on a couple. I also requested six Garands for our Marine Corps League's Honor Guards for military honors.
Pretty rough outside, but free. They also provide blanks and clips. The metal was totally reparkerized at $85 each. The stocks using your own metal ran close to $90, and is for the most part drop in fit. Two had to have a small amount of wood removed around the trigger group. They came out like new off the assembly line, at less than $200 each. They get used A LOT ! In fact we have two funerals this week. So far, in several years, they have never had function failure. We used both the old blanks, and the newer hotter and dirty ones.
If you order the Service Grade, not to worry about parts! Clean it and shoot it.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeshooter View Post
I do not want to buy a service grade rifle and then have to pay Gander Mtns gunsmith to take it apart, repair, put in new parts, etc, in order to have a shooting Garand. I would like the buy 1000 rifle that has a new barrell and stock and some new parts (American), i.e., it wouldn't be a collector's rifle, but don't care. I just want an M1 Garand. It may look a little fancy for some, but my friends would not know the difference, though people on the range would. PS I am a life-time member of the VFW and DAV and have been a Past Commander of Bismarck,ND's large Americn Legion post, so I guess I don't need to join a special club. I could still be talked into the "service Grande rifles, but doubt it". thank you for your help. Maybe I'm a, what do you call it, a wanna be. Nothing wrong with that is there.
No offense Rangeshooter but if all you are wanting is a Garand in pristine condition, why not buy one of the new models made by Springfield? They were a short run but you'd get your rifle..

The Garand I got through CMP was a service grade rifle but came to me in great shape. It's not a tack driver but that's not what I wanted.. I wanted a piece of american history that could continue serving it's new master (so to speak). IMHO, if you go out and replace every piece with brand new parts and replace the stock, you've kind of gotten away from the intent of collecting that piece of history.

I will admit that there would be a time that you might replace the furniture of your Garand and be justified. That would be when you get your rifle with mismatched wood. That does happen quite often during the assenal repair process.

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 03-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I thought about going through the cmp a few years back, but found a great condition model at a gun show instead. More money, but it was absolutely perfect!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I am putting the finishing touches on my service grade rifle and will post pictures of it very soon. I got this rifle for about half what the gunshows around here are selling CMP rifles for and it is absolutelly gorgeous! The wood has a tiger strip pattern on it and it is amazing.

www.RCGunworksllc.com

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 03-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Pictures... FINALLY.

Here are the pictures of my service grade M1. The before pictures first to show you that this was a very nice rifle to start with.

000_0016.jpg   000_0018.jpg   000_0022.jpg   000_0020.jpg   000_0023.jpg  

www.RCGunworksllc.com

Tags
help still appreciated