Is it really that rare?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Is it really that rare?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Is it really that rare?

Looking for someone with personal experience with a Rem. mod. 29 or info about this gun.

mod-29-rem.12-ga.jpg  

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 12-30-2009 at 05:44 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #2

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

Your link is linked to a picture and is NG.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #3

Default Sorry

I edited the origional post with a picture. Thanks for the heads up.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
Paul.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #4

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

Only made for 3 years. Pretty rare to find a nice one I'd say. 75 years old...
It may really suck, but not a common shotgun.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #5

Default m 29

it's actually in pretty nice shape. has a couple small splits where the butt meets the receiver that are fixable and has some play the barrel and tube jopn the receiver which I think can be tightened. I'm waiting for the manual from remington. there is a pachmire butt pad that i'm not sure how it is attached. It was my Dads so I'm sure it hasn't been shot for sometime.

Paul.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:37 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Dont know what kind of help I can be, but I owned one once. I shot it for a few years before trading it off. Absolutely beautiful firearm, a testament to the skills of man. No plastic, no stamped parts, no potmetal castings. Just beautifully milled steel parts with nice walnut stock. When these were built we werent a "throw away society" these were built by skilled craftsmen one at a time and meant to last many lifetimes when cared for properly. However these early guns, while superbly built, may have not been the best design.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #7

I finally received Info from Remington this morning. It kinda made me feel stupid about breaking the Model 29 down, it took about 20 seconds once I read the manual. It also gave me simple instructions on how to tighten the barrel to the receiver. There are provisions built into the gun for this. I broke it down, tightened the barrel, and epoxied two very minor splits in the stock (which are common to this design) in about 20 minutes. I now am very confident that it a safe, well built,very useable gun aside from a few small desigh flaws that really don't have anything to do with shootability, this is a nice gun with no doubt a long history of use. The book says the comes with a 26,28 30 or 32 inch barrel but this is a 24 inch barrel with a poly choke that there is no mention of. I have reason to believe it may be a law enforcement version but have no way of substanciating this. The man that sold to my dad had a brother that was a LEO and had given the gun to him. All I need now is to find an origional butt plate and the gun will be how it was ment to be. It has an after market recoil pad installed on it now.

Paul.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #8

Default blue book 2002

24,00 made.1929-1933.90%$200 100% 325.
the barrel is that length because of the poly choke.the PC may have been aftermarket.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #9

Default poly choke

If the PC is after market, the barrel would have to be altered to accept the screw on choke I would assume. Looks like OEM. Are the PCs silver soldered on or do they thread the muzzle?

Paul.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:18 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

It is quite easy to determine if any choke device is original to a gun. Simply look for a choke marking on the barrel. If you find a choke marking (full, modified ,IC, cylinder ect.) then the choke device is aftermarket. Factory installed choke devices didnt have a choke marking on the barrel as they were manufacture without any choke restriction in order to make the choke device work.