Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Questions when looking for C&R guns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/questions-when-looking-c-r-guns-8265/)

Slickrick214 11-08-2008 04:59 AM

Questions when looking for C&R guns

Some of you guys might have seen my thread in the club house secion of the forum. In this post I was asking for websites that sell historic guns. I got a bunch of websites and I started looking around. while looking I started to get questions that I was hoping you guys could help answer. What does it mean when they say that major parts have been electropenciled to match? Also when they say metal is mostly patina mix what do they mean? Do they mean the barrel and everything is going to be really rusty?

janikphoto 11-08-2008 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickrick214 (Post 49393)
Some of you guys might have seen my thread in the club house secion of the forum. In this post I was asking for websites that sell historic guns. I got a bunch of websites and I started looking around. while looking I started to get questions that I was hoping you guys could help answer. What does it mean when they say that major parts have been electropenciled to match? Also when they say metal is mostly patina mix what do they mean? Do they mean the barrel and everything is going to be really rusty?

can you provide links to the items you are looking at?

Slickrick214 11-08-2008 04:34 PM

MAUSER K98 237 1940; 8 mm; 97% blue, good bore, good stock, 24'' barrel, Russian capture import marked. Major parts electropenciled to match. Other small parts mis-matched. Has cleaning rod., s/n 86xxb

Slickrick214 11-08-2008 07:02 PM

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?cPath=160_161_191&products_id=690 4&osCsid=2d9e5873b076be4816fbb5964be6074b

Benning Boy 11-09-2008 02:27 AM

Russian captures were often stripped of the cleaning rod and a small screw to render them "de-milled", neither action rendered the weapon inoperable.

Guns with mismatched serial numbers are of course less desirable to collectors.

Try Southern Ohio Guns, if you have a C&R, excellent deals.

Slickrick214 11-09-2008 03:56 AM

I would but I don't have a C&R license. I know they're less desirable but it seems thats what you get for 300-450 dollars. Looking at Simpsons website it seems like the true WWII K98k's with correct, un-peened Nazi markings all go for over 1,000 dollars. The one on Simpsons website that I really liked was this one:

MAUSER K98 42 1940; 8 mm; 60% blue, very good bore, good stock, 24'' barrel, Matching except bolt and floorplate which match each other. E/H on stock. Metal is mostly a patina mix. Missing capture screws but action screws also match. Has cleaning rod and includes a reproduction leather sling. No import markings found., s/n 23xxu

I'd lose the ugly red repro sling and it seems like I would have a pretty nice historic rifle. Judging by the pictures and close ups the stock seems to be in good condition and the bluing seems ok. What I'm not sure about is the patina mix they talk about.

Benning Boy 11-09-2008 05:11 PM

The patina mix, I believe, is the fancy word for the discoloration where the bluing is gone. More interesting is the lack of import marks, as most importers are required to deface the firearm with their companys name being etched onto it.

I heartily reccomend the license. Your only stumbling block might be your location. You need an LEO who won't dispute your application. If you can get it, the world of historic firearms will open up to you, and your credit cards and local UPS guy will weep.

Slickrick214 11-10-2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benning Boy (Post 49575)
More interesting is the lack of import marks, as most importers are required to deface the firearm with their companys name being etched onto it.

Are you saying thats a good thing or a bad thing. Is it something that doesn't matter or does it detract from the overall quality?

Quote:

I heartily reccomend the license.

How do you get it and how long does it take. When it comes to the goverment most of the time things always take forever. I'm not going to wait 6 months just to get a license.

Quote:

Your only stumbling block might be your location. You need an LEO who won't dispute your application. If you can get it, the world of historic firearms will open up to you, and your credit cards and local UPS guy will weep.

Your going to have to explain this part better. This is my first gun dealing with FFL laws. Up till now I've only been buying and shooting black powder guns. Why would my area be a problem and whats a LEO?

Benning Boy 11-10-2008 03:47 PM

Import marks are when a company like Century imports a firearm from, say, Russia. The gun is pristine, has all original arsenal markings, etc. They are required to scrawl their name into the gun. Does this detract from the function? No. Frankly, My guns are for shooting, so they could put NASCAR stickers on it, and it wouldn't bother me. But some folks appreciate the historical significance of a gun, and want it as close to original as possible.

Getting the license entails calling BATFE, having them mail you the forms, and then submitting a copy to the chief LEO in your community. If they have no problem with you as a collector, they are required to do nothing. My license took exactly 60 days to hit my mailbox.

If you are in Philadelphia, you MAY have issues. I'm not there, so anything I know about Philly is conjecture, but the GOV was holding press conferences not long ago cursing the SKS (C&R eligible) since one was used in a shooting.

janikphoto 11-10-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benning Boy (Post 49758)
If you are in Philadelphia, you MAY have issues. I'm not there, so anything I know about Philly is conjecture, but the GOV was holding press conferences not long ago cursing the SKS (C&R eligible) since one was used in a shooting.

People need to stop blaming the firearm and start blaming the nuts who turn them on other people. Some of the worse shootings happened with bolt action rifles (the clock tower shooting in Austin, TX and the JFK assassination). I bet someone could do some nasty business with a pair of single black powder rifles if they were skilled enough...