Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Question to C&R holders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question to C&R holders.

I have a C&R but I have never used it for a purchase. Lately I have been trying to send my Son a C&R eledgible pistol --he also has a C&R, but I can't get the postal service to ship it. They won't accept my package without a form (1058 I believe) on file. I can't do the form because it is for a dealer-as a C&R holder I am not a dealer. ATF says I'm legal in every way to send this pistol but I can't list a Dealers Address on the form & therefore it is unacceptable. Has anyone out there mailed a C&R firearm thru the Postal Service & if so what info do I need to get the P.O. to accept this item for mailing. I can go thru my neighborhood Gun Shop but I shouldn't have to beeing as I'm legal to send. HELP!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8315 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Joe- good news and bad. Good news, you CAN ship the pistol to your son (as long as he in not in CA or one of the other states that regulates C&R holders)

Bad news- you cannot MAIL it to him. Handguns cannot be mailed except by a Dealer (an 01 FFL) or by a Manufacturer. When they wrote the regs, they left out us 03 FFLs.

The form is a form 1508, notice of restricted mailing. And the form is limited to Dealers/ Manufacturers. Penalty of perjury in completing the form.

At this point, you have two choices- 1. Ship by UPS or FedEx. They both require Next Day Air. This will run you about $70. 2. Find a local Dealer, pay him to mail it for you. HE can mail it, and priority mail small box is much cheaper.

Sorry, but have run into this myself- have been an 03 FFL since 1976.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #3

I do see another option, but it will likely be a shade costlier and not as fast: Have your son come visit you!

If you like him enough to send him a gun, you probably like him enough to see him in person and hit up the range to try it out! Or wait until you go see him, and if you have grandkids old enough, bring them a C&R .22 and teach them to shoot, too.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:48 AM   #4

Default sloejoe

Sorry drumminor2nd but travel is not a viable option. He's East coast--I'm West coast retired-disabled-broke--He has family-middle age & attending school to start a new carrer--just no chance--I guess I'll have to go with c3shooter's suggestion to use a dealer to send this firearm. What a shame to have that FFL & can't use it because of the beauracratic red tape of the postal service. I wonder why they couldn't tell me that instead of saying "check back in a few days while I check on it" then only to repeat themselves again in a few days. Is this just bad rule making or a stab at gun ownership. ATF said all was good but the PO says "not in my court you don't". My Gun Shop (Garden Valley Guns) is 5 minutes away & UPS is 1 1/2 hours. Here I can ship for $15.00 plus postage compared to UPS $many.cents. Thanks for the update-I knew someone would know--What a Forum!!!!!!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:33 AM   #5

Rats... sorry I couldn't be of more help. Hope you do get to see him at some point in the near future...

Old 06-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #6

Good morning gentlemen. This is my first post here, but I have been lurking for quite a while. Can the O P ship the gun in 2 parts? It would not be a complete operable firearm, just parts.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #7

I believe the USPS will not ship a firearm of any kind, UPS will though. Like c3shooter said that may be your only option shipping wise.

• Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once.
- Admiral Hornblower

• The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country.
- General Patton

• When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
- US Marine Corps

Old 06-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #8

I sent my Colt cylinder to Colt USPS. I sent my Mini 14 barreled action, less the trigger group to Cryo Pro USPS. Both companies return shipped USPS. I don't see why he can not ship the revolver without the cylinder, then ship the cylinder later. This would not be a complete gun capable of firing. These would be gun parts. USPS does ship gun parts. I don't know about the California thing though.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:06 AM   #9

The way the USPS explained it to me, & exactly as c3shooter said in the above post, Is--the only way a firearm can be shipped thru the USPS is if you have the form 1508 on file & this form is ONLY for DEALERS & MANUFACTURERS. The C&R is considered a "one way" license ,by the PO and they will not even take a mailing from a Dealer until he has this form on file. A dealer is technicaly one who buys & sells for a profit. C&R is one that buys for collection, however the ATF says C&R holders can sell and ship the PO says not thru us unless you are a Dealer. Yes UPS & Fed-X will ship for an exorbtant fee but you are financially ahead to use a Dealer & pay for the use of his license. Where you are ahead is if someone ships you a C&R elegible firearm you don't have to use a Dealer to receive it. It can be delivered to your door. Maybe sometime in the future the USPS will see their inequity & re-write their shipping policy & include the 03 license as they should. Parts is a different factor, but any firearm part that has the complete serial number on it must be a Dealer only until such time as the PO changes their policy.

Last edited by sloejoe; 06-20-2010 at 04:08 AM.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:20 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8315 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

OK- several different things going on here- important not to get wires crossed up. Lemmee see now-

Send as 2 parts. NO. By law, the FRAME (receiver) is the gun. Everything else is parts.

Mailing a gun- depends on the gun. A private citizen CAN mail a rifle or shotgun by US mail. They CANNOT mail a handgun. They CAN ship a handgun by UPS or FedEx- very pricey- must go next day air (their rules) Only an 01 Dealer or a manufacturer can MAIL a handgun.

Unspoken- just don't tell anyone. BAD idea. Felonies can cost you all your guns forever. New bunkmate is named Animal. He says YOUR name is Nancy.

Unspoken- muzzleloaders- most, by law, are NOT guns. They are ANTIQUE firearms, and fall outside of the 1968 Gun Control Act.

IF a firearm is having its OWNERSHIP changed to someone else, and it crosses a state line, except in the case of inheritance, it must go TO a FFL holder in the recipient's state. A gun sent for repair, and returned to same person is NOT a transfer of ownership. You can mail yourself your deer rifle (hunting Montana, send to lodge, marked HOLD FOR JOE BLOW- again, no transfer).

You can acquire a firearm- handgun or long gun- from a private citizen in your own state (state law permitting) you can acquire a LONG gun from a FFL holder in any state (state law permitting) . You may NOT acquire a handgun from ANYONE except in your own state (unless you have a FFL yourself)

Much of this is in 18 USC 922, and the Domestic Mail Manual. Google is your friend.

On a serious note- I am not a lawyer (I am skilled labor) I try not to give legal advice beyond pointing you to the statute- but if I know this will get you put in jail, I will tell you. If this ramble has left you confused, please feel free to PM me, and I will do what I can to point you to the Federal laws.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.