PSL, got one??
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion >

PSL, got one??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 776 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Default PSL, got one??

A few years ago I bought 2 scoped PSL's(FPK) from Tennessee guns international. I gave one to my oldest son for his high school graduation. He shoots his all the time, Mine has never gone out. Just too many toys, too little time. I was thinking about selling mine to a friend. I started doing a little research. I take the rifle down to bare bones about every 8 months and clean it. I never realized that it is all matching. The receiver was scrubbed and re-stamped here, Even the cover matches.
This is what I found. The Romanians disassembled the rifles, scrubbed the receivers, sent them all together to Tennessee guns and the stamped the receiver w/ their stamp, re-assembled them and sold them Where the TN stamp is tells the story. No U.S. trigger, barrel, piston, nothing. I even have a leather sling.
My sons is soooooo accurate even w/ light ball my PU 91/30 does not shoot well. I paid $750.00 for both, shipped less then 5 years ago. I called a local shop, they said if it is as described they would give me $975.00 for mine! There is one on Gunbroker w/ a bubba bi-pod for $1400.00. I'm taking mine out to play tomorrow. It took 15 minutes to zero the scope w/ the open sights.
PSL, got one?? - Curio & Relic Discussion

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 04-22-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #2

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

thats some nice wood on that PSL jp....they are very fun & accurate rifles...i picked mine up last year @ AIMsurplus for 525.00 not sure if its all matching?i have notice that theres not to many online places carrying them anymore.i see a few parts kits show up every now&then...

do you know if yours & sons rifles have the screw on or pin on muzzle breaks?

Old 04-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
thats some nice wood on that PSL jp....they are very fun & accurate rifles...i picked mine up last year @ AIMsurplus for 525.00 not sure if its all matching?i have notice that theres not to many online places carrying them anymore.i see a few parts kits show up every now&then...

do you know if yours & sons rifles have the screw on or pin on muzzle breaks?

Pinned and bayo lug.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #4

same here,pinned w/lug...i've heard that most PSL's that are threaded @ the muzzle,have the same threade size as the SVD's?...i'm wondering if i could get my pinned brake off & thread it to accept the SVD brake?...i just like that M-14 looking style brake ...might be more work then what its worth?...not to mention the extra $40 bucks for the new break...ehhhh

Old 04-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
same here,pinned w/lug...i've heard that most PSL's that are threaded @ the muzzle,have the same threade size as the SVD's?...i'm wondering if i could get my pinned brake off & thread it to accept the SVD brake?...i just like that M-14 looking style brake ...might be more work then what its worth?...not to mention the extra $40 bucks for the new break...ehhhh
Your talking the U.S. builds that have non original parts. You'll have to replace the front sight to make that work. Why bother and reduce the Value.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6789 Times on 3609 Posts
Likes Given: 506

ive always wanted one but have been kinda leery of em. lots of conflicting info on whats the diff tween it and a svd who makes a good one what to look for in one etc.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 04-23-2011, 01:32 AM   #7

the PSL's & SVD's are two very diffrent rifles...they might look close to the same & shoot the same cal. rds. but not close...this is where i have always heard bad things about the PSL's because they are nothing more than a over sized AK-type rifle...& thats pretty much the truth for a PSL,but they are a hell-of-alot more accurate.the scope is neat too for a fixed power..whats not to like about a cheap,simple,accurate,reliable,semiauto,knockdown rd. rifle?

they're fit & finish might not be the greatest,but i dont like shooting my purrrrdy rifles anyways

dont know if this guy's PSL shoots this good or not?...it is youtubehttp://youtu.be/ktaH0kdKV80

Old 04-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #8

If you find one w/ the Cugir arsenal stamp in front of the mag well or TNG international(TGI) stamped in front of the mag well, those are the shooters and better quality. Others have U.S. made receivers that are not as ridged. The pinned compinsator is original, the screw on is U.S. made and shows a U.S. sight block and it could have a U.S. made barrel. Lots of U.S. variations.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6789 Times on 3609 Posts
Likes Given: 506

thanks ive seen em a time or two at gunshows and there is one at the shop im getting my m16 from. now i know what to look for.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 04-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #10

YEP! thats pretty much why I got one, an AK47 on steroids. Super easy to clean, accurate, dependable and very cheap to shoot. Mine has only had the CZ Silvertip light ball and loves it!

My FPK gets a lot of range time. Everybody that shoots it wants one. To tell the truth I don't think I'd take a grand for mine. I would need to buy another one and I already know how this one shoots.

I really kick myself for not picking up a short bbl FPK at the same time I bought this one. You hardly ever see them anymore.

I did find that I needed a bigger scope for those consistent 200 - 300yd beer can kills, (old eyeballs) and another 4" on the butt. Great Rifles!

Newest Threads