Primer Pressure Sign?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Primer Pressure Sign?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default Primer Pressure Sign?

Hello,

I'm trying to decide whether this primer is flat enough to qualify as a pressure sign:

I'm thinking not quite.

Could be wrong.

It was a Nosler Ballistic Tip 0.323" 180 grain bullet on top of 41 grains of Varget and seated about a caliber deep.

This is a starting load. However, I fired it through my G88 "S" marked. It has a 0.323" chamber but retains the 0.318" bore.

Recoil was not hard at all, but was sharp. Reminded me a lot of a .30-30.

I had no gas blow back in my face, or any bad stuff like that.

Headspace checks out totally fine, and the rifle is in very good condition or I'd not have tried this to begin with.

The only possible pressure sign I can find is that primer -- and I'm not sure it really qualifies as flat.

I have plenty of 0.318" bullets, so if you folks think that this is indeed overpressure, it won't hurt my feelings at all. I just have to decide what to go with given the 0.323" chamber, and this is part of the process.

Thanks!

Josh

Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #2

Liked 2605 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2526

It's hard to tell from a picture. I'd be inclined to say yes because I also see a bright ring around the case and indication of pressure and case head seperation.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #3

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I am inclined to agree with you about it being not quite a pressure sign. A simple check might be to try reducing the load by 10% and check to see if the case looks the same. Or try a couple of the .318 bullets with the 41 gr. load and check the cases. Or if this load was accurate I would just keep shooting it.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #4

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 756

My starting load is 42gr Varget, 48 max.

Edit, I like IMR4320 better in 8x57. Best loads I've found for all my 8x57's. It could be the way the chamber was cut. Have you tried any surplus ammo?

Oh yes, load up some .318 bullets. You can also check out cast lead gas checks. I can give you recipes for them also. 170gr work very well. This guy makes the best.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

This guy is cheaper, uses the different mold and brittle hardness.
http://moyerscastbullets.com/pricelist.html

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 09-01-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #5

I would say yes ,It even appears to have machining marks from bolt face.Better to use .318 bullets.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:28 AM   #6

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
It's hard to tell from a picture. I'd be inclined to say yes because I also see a bright ring around the case and indication of pressure and case head seperation.
Hello,

Where do you see the bright ring?

Thanks,

Josh
Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Old 09-17-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2856 Times on 1487 Posts
Likes Given: 254

The primer looks like it backed out a bit. I would say yes to pressure sign, but no to excessive pressure sign. No flow or cratering around the FP strike.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #8

Wouldn't the first sign of stress usually be either a bright ring, pale ring above the head, Or a split in the neck?

With my Enfield #4s and #5s, there have been some narrow, very light pale colored rings by the rim, but very few with splits in the neck.

My Spanish FR8 (match. bolt, excel. Win. Field Gauge results) reloads exhibit no stress at all, and this is after nine reloads.
I spent hours last summer reading about military 'cup' conversion to commercial psi. etc.

robocop10mm: What causes flow or cratering around the pin strike, and can you easily see it with reading glasses?

Last edited by Laufer; 11-16-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2856 Times on 1487 Posts
Likes Given: 254

High pressure will flatten the primer and cause the radiused edges to flow into the void around the primer. Excessive pressure will cause the metal of the primer cup to flow into the firing pin hole in the breech face. Sometimes these high areas will be mashed back down or sheared off when the bolt is unlocked. This can mask the appearance of the cratering.

And, yes it should be visible with minimal magnification (reading glasses). I used to be able to see it with my naked eye. Unfortunately, my naked eye needs help now.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #10

Likes Given: 1

Looking at the pictures, I DO see signs of pressure to be concerned about. I see cylindrical lines on the face of the primer where it took on the machining lines of the bolt face. It is also obvious that the primer has flowed around the firing pin, and I agree with rjd3282, I do see evidence of case head separation. Hard to tel from the pictures, but I might see a small crack in the neck, and it appears to me that the primer has indeed pushed out a tad.

Back off by 10% on your loads and then post another picture of both cartridges side by side. My guess is they will look substantially different.

"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"