Price for a Broomhandle Mauser?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Price for a Broomhandle Mauser?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Price for a Broomhandle Mauser?

Hello all!

If this is in the wrong section, my apologies. Please move it or direct me to where I should post!

I have a good friend who has really, really helped me a lot in recent months. I want to do a little something for him to show my gratitude.

He's a target shooter and simply enjoys guns in general. I am not a gun guy at all, so approach any replies on the assumption of my complete ignorance!

He's mentioned that the one gun he has always wanted to own but never has is a 9mm Broomhandled Mauser. If it's possible, to thank him for all he's done, I'd like to get him one of these guns.

Now, we live across the US from each other, so the logistics of buying a gun and sending it to him are sketchy, so if it's doable, I'd like to send him the money to get one himself. Can someone give me a rough price of what it would cost to get a decent gun? I imagine he would want one, if possible, to shoot it. He's not one to put things in a display case. As he always says about his guns, "They're tools! Use them!" So, wanting a shooter it wouldn't need to be in pristine, immaculate condition, but I would want him to be able to get something nice too.

It wouldn't necessarily need to be the Red 9 variety, but that would be fun too.

Thanks for your help all!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2012, 03:22 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10429 Times on 4498 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Whooo! Sorry, but sort of like "I would like to buy a car- a Ford V-8. How much?"

There is considerable variety in broomhandles- mainly for condition and scarcity of a given model. For a Mauser (German) in 9mm Parabellum in good condition, around 2 grand. Shoulder stock/ holster also comes into the equation. For a .45 from Shansei aresenal, about a 1/3 of that.

Check auctionarms and gunbroker. Here are some- http://www.gunbroker.com/Collectible-Firearms/BI.aspx?Keywords=broomhandle

Gun would need to be shipped TO a FFL holder in friend's home state. Both auction sites have a "find a FFL" function on their home page- plug in zip code of friend, pulls up FFLs near there.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Check pawn shops as well. I could have had one about three years ago for a little less than $500. No stock or holster (holster acted as the stock for artillery), but it was a good. solid gun with the WWII markings. I was just not in the mood to buy it. By the time my interest got up, it was gone.

Dave

Old 03-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #4

So, it seems like looking at the GunBroker link above and checking out Rock Island's upcoming auction (they have two there), that a really nice one would probably run $1500 - $2500? That seem about right?

Old 03-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10429 Times on 4498 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Yeah. If you are registered on gunbroker, you can also search COMPLETED auctions. 9mms are usually more 'spensive than the .30 Mausers.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #6

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

C96, C36 Etc. Brooms are very high. At one time the Russian "Bolo" Mausers were around $500 bucks. Even rough "Brooms" are over a grand. As for stocks be very careful. The Federal rules on stocks is complex. I prefer the .30 Mauser round over the 9MM. "Brooms" are fun this a few from my stash. These were very popular saddle guns in the West. The Feds banned the shoulder stocks in the 1930s it ended their use. The stock rules have changed but read them very carefully. Transfer can run over $250 dollars.