Pre-1898 Mauser - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Pre-1898 Mauser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No need to dredge up the old "Spanish Steel" canards, but I would be leary of shooting commercial .308Win in the Small Ring Mauser rifles. Many do so, and there has been NO verifiable case of one kabooming with factory ammo - but I do load the 7.62X51 moderately for my Spanish M1916. Shoots very nice, and the moderate loading doesn't beat up me or the rifle.

Some guys will buy these SG rifles just for the fact they are 'off paper' - it's worth the extra bucks to them for that. SG is also offering the barreled action for $300, for those who would restock it as a sporter. BUT.... the final expense for a sporting rifle would be rather high - much less expensive to buy a good Savage .308.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
C3shooter:

I bought a Mitchell's Mauser K-98k on a whim a few months ago. These are mostly (if not all) Russian Capture rifles. I think paid too much ($500) in hindsight. Mine is a 1938 JP Sauer model with matching numbers and Nazi markings, but Mitchell's stamps the barrels with their name and California address, so that kills the collectibilty. My K98 is in good to fair physical condition, and the re-finsihed stock looks nice, but the bore on mine was less than optimal. It still shoots a decent group at 100 yards, which is what I bought it for so I am not unhappy with my deal.

TXnorton
You have been lucky if you haven't met any of the "I hate Mitchell's Mausers" crowd. According to them the Mitchell's rifles are not collectable, historically incorrect rifles, and Mitchell is a crook, and on and on. You probably paid too much for your rifle, well so did I. Mine's 1940 Austrian made 98k I love my rifle, which I bought as a shooter with no knowlege of historically correctness at the time. The action is slick, and it groups very tightly. I even put a historically incorrect repro ZF-41 scope on the thing, and I love it. Mitchell may fudge with his sales adds, force match the serial numbers, or down right re-stamp the whole rifle. I don't care. It shoots good, I love it. The rifling in the bore is razor sharp. Maybe he re-cuts it too I don't know, I don't care. I have learned from this rifle, and maybe someday, I have a lump of spare cash, I will buy myself a "historically correct" Mauser, Maybe for less than I paid for my Mitchell Mauser, to add to the locker, but I will be keeping my Mitchell to shoot. Mine is also a Russian Capture, and I believe that bestows some history on it. Luckily it was captured early enough in the war, that the metal did not sustain a lot of rust and pitting. I think that that rascal Mitchell may have changed to capture mark on mine. Looks like an asterisk now. Stock is sanded down too much, and doesn't have the correct butt plate. So what? I like it.
dscn1005.jpg   dscn1006.jpg   dscn1007.jpg  

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Last edited by HM2Grunt; 12-12-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #23

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt View Post
You have been lucky if you haven't met any of the "I hate Mitchell's Mausers" crowd. According to them the Mitchell's rifles are not collectable, historically incorrect rifles, and Mitchell is a crook, and on and on. You probably paid too much for your rifle, well so did I. Mine's 1940 Austrian made 98k I love my rifle, which I bought as a shooter with no knowlege of historically correctness at the time. The action is slick, and it groups very tightly. I even put a historically incorrect repro ZF-41 scope on the thing, and I love it. Mitchell may fudge with his sales adds, force match the serial numbers, or down right re-stamp the whole rifle. I don't care. It shoots good, I love it. The rifling in the bore is razor sharp. Maybe he re-cuts it too I don't know, I don't care. I have learned from this rifle, and maybe someday, I have a lump of spare cash, I will buy myself a "historically correct" Mauser, Maybe for less than I paid for my Mitchell Mauser, to add to the locker, but I will be keeping my Mitchell to shoot. Mine is also a Russian Capture, and I believe that bestows some history on it. Luckily it was captured early enough in the war, that the metal did not sustain a lot of rust and pitting. I think that that rascal Mitchell may have changed to capture mark on mine. Looks like an asterisk now. Stock is sanded down too much, and doesn't have the correct butt plate. So what? I like it.
Bud, You found a tread started in the summer of 2009, ended a year later in 2010. You like Mitchells, Happy for you. I think they are frauds, but that is my humble opinion considering the $$$ they ask. They were selling WW2 24/47's recently. Problem is WW2 had ended in 1945. BTW, there is no capture mark except for Soviet captures. That is an X.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:35 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Bud, You found a tread started in the summer of 2009, ended a year later in 2010. You like Mitchells, Happy for you. I think they are frauds, but that is my humble opinion considering the $$$ they ask. They were selling WW2 24/47's recently. Problem is WW2 had ended in 1945. BTW, there is no capture mark except for Soviet captures. That is an X.
So Mitchell's an ass hole. I don't think I disagree with that. I like to shoot. What does his being an ass hole have to do with my liking to shoot? or what I shoot?or what I pay for it? What I am saying is, you can have a dog, and I can have a dog. They're the same breed, Yours has papers, mine don't, and he cost me more. I still like my dog.
And here I would like to learn something; what do you mean by "By the way, there is no capture mark except for Soviet captures. That was an X"? The marks are on the left side on the receiver, and barrel, are Xs with
lines through them, ending up looking like an asterisks. I consider them Soviet capture marks with an extra slash through them. What are you calling them?
And then we can end the thread, and God forbid I ever mention Mitchell's name again. Maybe he just doesn't know when the war ended

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Old 12-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #25

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt View Post
So Mitchell's an ass hole. I don't think I disagree with that. I like to shoot. What does his being an ass hole have to do with my liking to shoot? or what I shoot?or what I pay for it? What I am saying is, you can have a dog, and I can have a dog. They're the same breed, Yours has papers, mine don't, and he cost me more. I still like my dog.
And here I would like to learn something; what do you mean by "By the way, there is no capture mark except for Soviet captures. That was an X"? The marks are on the left side on the receiver, and barrel, are Xs with
lines through them, ending up looking like an asterisks. I consider them Soviet capture marks with an extra slash through them. What are you calling them?
And then we can end the thread, and God forbid I ever mention Mitchell's name again. Maybe he just doesn't know when the war ended

Sorry if I came across harsh. Your correct, in some instances Mitchells are the only alternitives if that is what a local dealer carries. If your shooting a Mauser, you have some class. I'm a Mauser whore. I've handled a few Mitchells, they were pretty. But being a purest I could not part w/ the cash for one. With the way they've been treated (restored?) they should last another 70 years.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.