Pre-1898 Mauser - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Pre-1898 Mauser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
I apologize if I offened you or overlooked your response. I had forgot my history lessons regarding the Boxer Rebellion. It was a familiar term, but I could not recall the dates or the countries involved. Thanks for re-educating me...

Anyhoo, I was looking for someone to let me know if that rifle is a good or bad deal for $400, or if the hype from the seller elevates the price? This is from a retailer of sorts.
No way was I offended! I was worried I had bothered you with my post. I am new here and really do not have much to do with guns. I really just signed up to ask a dubious question about chewing cum in a gun barrel. lol!

I am a big military history buff though, and your thread title caught my eye. I have been looking around the forum and getting into more trouble today! ;-) Seems like a bunch of great folk here. I may have to hang around.

Regards, Canis

Old 05-29-2009, 02:05 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8856 Times on 3835 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

As far as "are they worth $400?" Well if someone pays $400, they are worth it. IMHO, that is a bit pricy unless they are pretty darned cherry.

First discount the .308. That is a rework, and true collectors would stake you out, and stone you with expended cartridge casings. It's value is as a shooter. There are better .308 shooters out there.

For the other, go to auctionarms.com, and/or gunbroker.com, and do a smart search, Mauser 95 auctions CLOSED in past 80 days. Yeah, have been a few that sold. Some high dollar reserve guns that did not sell. Look at pictures for idea of condition.

If you want a Mauser, is it for collecting or shooting? For $400, take at look at Mitchell's Mausers. http://www.mauser.org/rifles/K98k%20German/index.htm Please note that these are reworks/restored/rearsenaled/re-bubba'ed depending on who you talk to- they do not have the collector's value of an original- but they shure do look pretty!

Old 05-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #13

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Some of the Spanish Mausers were arsenal rechambered to .308. I wouldn't use hand loads in them that go over factory pressures tho. The steel in these isn't heat treated and the recievers will eventually stretch even with factory .308 loads.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #14

Likes Given: 2

The Sportsman's Guide Mausers are not "Pre-1898" they are just "pre-1898 eligible". These guns have probably been arsenal refinished several times, hence they are available in .308, which didn't exist in 1898. While you might get lucky and get a good gun, they are Overpriced, and i wouldn't recommend purchasing a firearm that old without being able to see the actual gun you are buying. You can probably pick one up at a gun show for a little over half of what S.G. is wanting for them.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 06-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #15

Default rifle

myself its not a good deal the price is raise because they can sell without paper work.and I would be leary of 308 in that vintage.as to changing the barrel on older german thats not what happened the bullets were .318 but the barrels grooves were .321.the "S" stands for the new spitzer they opened the neck,nothing else.I have two 88s.they are safe with american 8mm as that is the original cartridge.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

C3shooter:

I bought a Mitchell's Mauser K-98k on a whim a few months ago. These are mostly (if not all) Russian Capture rifles. I think paid too much ($500) in hindsight. Mine is a 1938 JP Sauer model with matching numbers and Nazi markings, but Mitchell's stamps the barrels with their name and California address, so that kills the collectibilty. My K98 is in good to fair physical condition, and the re-finsihed stock looks nice, but the bore on mine was less than optimal. It still shoots a decent group at 100 yards, which is what I bought it for so I am not unhappy with my deal.

TXnorton

Old 06-14-2009, 12:25 AM   #17

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I did not buy one, I was curious. And, as proven, the members here come through with great info and a history lesson. That is freakin' awesome!

The pre-1898 ad is not an aging of the rifle. $400 is something I would not give without seeing the actual arm or knowing its condition in described terms.

Great info guys, thanks!

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #18

Default Pinochet special

I have one of theses rifles, but I got it from Century arms noy Sportsmans guide. They were rechambered to 7.62 NATO for the Chilean National Guard by US in the 60's. Mine shoots very well using mil surplus ammo, trouble feeding a softpoint sporting round.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
C3shooter:

I bought a Mitchell's Mauser K-98k on a whim a few months ago. These are mostly (if not all) Russian Capture rifles. I think paid too much ($500) in hindsight. Mine is a 1938 JP Sauer model with matching numbers and Nazi markings, but Mitchell's stamps the barrels with their name and California address, so that kills the collectibilty. My K98 is in good to fair physical condition, and the re-finsihed stock looks nice, but the bore on mine was less than optimal. It still shoots a decent group at 100 yards, which is what I bought it for so I am not unhappy with my deal.

TXnorton

Well import marks dont really hurt collectible value. Its the fact that mitchells takes these rifles and grinds off the old numbers and then renumbers the parts so they match, then reblue and refinish the stock. They also add false markings in certain areas. That wouldn't bother me, its just they try to pass them off as original rifles to fool beginning collectors.

So yeah good shooters... but not much of a collectors rifle. I used to have a Mitchell but i got rid of it. It was a good shootin rifle and it worked great but I wanted an original rifle so i traded it off.

About them .308 mausers i've seen them at Duhnams and such for 200 just a couple months ago, so to me 400 sounds a bit high.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My Mitchell's Mauser (1938 vintage) come with a re-finished stock but had all original matching numbers and authentic Nazi stampings. My only disappointment was that the rifling was a bit worn. It still shoots decent groups at 100 yards, so I am satisfied with it. It is an "original rifle".

TXnorton