You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion >

Please help identify, and/or find a replacement cylinder for my forehand.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Please help identify, and/or find a replacement cylinder for my forehand.

Recently got this forehand arms co. Revolver that I can't find much info on. Serial number (on the butt of the gun is stamped 239260. I discovered it under the seat of an old farm truck I bought for parts. Missing the cylinder but in absolutely great shape otherwise. My questions are - where can I find a cylinder? What caliber/ammo can it use? Lol not that I'm planning on firing it any time soon. Any help would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #2

Liked 1063 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 277

You posted this in the AR-15 forum so I don't know how many replies you will receive.
You already have invested about as much as the revolver is worth so it would hardly pay to buy and fit a replacement cylinder for this gun. Best advice is to toss it on a shelf as a souvenir of the truck purchase.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:42 PM   #3
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 13618 Times on 5781 Posts
Likes Given: 2261

Trint- first of all, welcome to the forum. When you get a minute, stop by Introductions and say howdy.

Second, I moved your thread over to Curio & Relics to improve your chances of getting an answer.

Third- WE NEED PICTURES MAN!

There were several different revolvers, HOWEVER, the name changed to Forehand Arms in 1890, and the company went away in 1902, so that narrows down the selection. Odds are, it MAY be a 1901 revolver. The Forehand Arms 1901 revolver was made in .32 S&W and .38 S&W calibers. NOT .38 Special!

You are not holding the gun close enough to the computer for me to tell what you have. If it is a .32, then look here: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/974070B.htm

If it is a .38.....................

Oh, and some history of the company-

http://www.gundigest.com/gun-collecting-firearm-collecting/forehand-wadsworth-other-guys-deserve-mention
People Like This 
Old 02-19-2016, 10:59 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4076 Times on 2477 Posts
Likes Given: 22813

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Trint- first of all, welcome to the forum. When you get a minute, stop by Introductions and say howdy.

Second, I moved your thread over to Curio & Relics to improve your chances of getting an answer.

Third- WE NEED PICTURES MAN!

There were several different revolvers, HOWEVER, the name changed to Forehand Arms in 1890, and the company went away in 1902, so that narrows down the selection. Odds are, it MAY be a 1901 revolver. The Forehand Arms 1901 revolver was made in .32 S&W and .38 S&W calibers. NOT .38 Special!

You are not holding the gun close enough to the computer for me to tell what you have. If it is a .32, then look here: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/974070B.htm

If it is a .38.....................

Oh, and some history of the company-

http://www.gundigest.com/gun-collecting-firearm-collecting/forehand-wadsworth-other-guys-deserve-mention
Thanks for the link C3. I just learned a little bit more about the old Webley bulldog clone that's been sitting in the safe for the last 20 years. Belonged to my Great Great grandfather, and was passed down through the family over the years, first to my grandfather, then my dad, and finally to me when dad had me add it to the list on my permit application in 1997.

And no, dad and i have never fired it.
If I have to explain why I ride, you wouldn't understand. Explaining sex to an alien would be easier than explaining the feeling, one that boils all that is going on in your life down to what really matters each time you are in The Wind. All I can say is, Life is not Life without it.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:33 AM   #5

Liked 160 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Well if it is one of F&W's Bulldog clones you may get lucky.. Mr. Layman's book about Bulldog revolvers identify the F&W as the only Bulldog variant that had 100% parts interchangeability. You will just need to know which one of their versions (they had 5 or 6 different models of Bulldog) you have, then when you find a broken one on Gunbroker buy it for parts. Of course they stopped making them around 1912, so you may have a few months of wait beffore one pops up for sale of the correct type and model.

It is worth noting that F&W also made spur trigger and other types of revolvers under a variety of seller names. All of the F&W pistols came in several different calibers.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 02-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4076 Times on 2477 Posts
Likes Given: 22813

Quote:
Originally Posted by superc View Post
Well if it is one of F&W's Bulldog clones you may get lucky.. Mr. Layman's book about Bulldog revolvers identify the F&W as the only Bulldog variant that had 100% parts interchangeability. You will just need to know which one of their versions (they had 5 or 6 different models of Bulldog) you have, then when you find a broken one on Gunbroker buy it for parts. Of course they stopped making them around 1912, so you may have a few months of wait beffore one pops up for sale of the correct type and model.

It is worth noting that F&W also made spur trigger and other types of revolvers under a variety of seller names. All of the F&W pistols came in several different calibers.
I just might do that. Really have no plans to ever fire it, but it would be nice to have parts JIC, should I ever decide to.
If I have to explain why I ride, you wouldn't understand. Explaining sex to an alien would be easier than explaining the feeling, one that boils all that is going on in your life down to what really matters each time you are in The Wind. All I can say is, Life is not Life without it.