P-08 Luger questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > P-08 Luger questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 05:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default P-08 Luger questions

I recently bought a Luger P-08. Now dont get too excited because its not from WW2 from what I understand. Its a Mitchell Arms P-08. The side of it has the roll mark
(On the top half) Mitchell Arms American Eagle
Cal. 9mm Luger
(on the frame) Aimco Inc, Houston Texas

On the top of the barrel it has the American Eagle stamp with the olive branch and arrows in its claws with 1992 marked under it Its within the 5000 range for a serial number and is Stainless Steel.

I'm wondering what is this pistol worth in good condition and whether it falls into the C&R category?
Secondly, I'm curious as to whether the squarish protrusion on the bottom part of the rear of the grip is for the stock attachment iron on the stocks?

I dont plan to attach one anytime soon without knowing whether it is legal or not, so dont freak out. I'm assuming that if the gun somehow does fall into the C&R category that getting a stock for it wouldnt be illegal, correct?

This is the closest I've come to getting a C&R gun of my own that actually has the option of a detachable stock so I'm fairly ignorant and would appreciate any guidance you guys can give.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I think it has to be an original WWII Luger with an original stock, not 100% sure though.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

With 1992, I kind of doubt it.

For a current list from the BATF:
http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/curios-relics/

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8870 Times on 3842 Posts
Likes Given: 1384

For a gun to be C&R, either the gun is 50 years old or older, or is on the list published by the BATFE. I do not believe either will apply to yours.

As far as the shoulder stock, there were 3 primary guns that were removed from the NFA/ Shoulder stock limits- those were Broomhandles, Lugers, and Hi-Powers in their original configs with original stocks.

In a like manner, a Winchester 94 made in 1992 is NOT a C&R- even tho they started making that MODEL in 1894 (antique!) the gun I would be holding is NOT 50 years old.

The BATFE list DOES have a handful of newer Lugers that ARE C&R- but not as new as yours-

Sorry!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 09-22-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #5

Liked 57 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's a reproduction, Lugers were never made in stainless steel. These were produced by a firm in Texas for Mitchell and Stoeger.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1985 Times on 1076 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Still a nice gun and interesting to shoot. Much different recoil.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Photos would help.

I agree with mag318, if it's SS its not C&R.

Here's a real WWII P08:

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #8

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 14

IIRC stocks for Luger's must be original and can only be legally used on the Artillery Luger and the Navy Luger. It's a no no on a P08. The Radom VIS 35 if it has the slot is also legal to put an original stock on but they are impossible to find. The slotted Inglis Browning Hi Power and the C96 Broom Handle also are legal to attach a stock to if you have an original. I could be wrong but I think the Artillery Luger quality reproduction was stocks made legal as well.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. I’ve been busy so I haven’t been able to post much until now.

Well I bought the gun for half of what it was going for on Gunbroker at the time I bought it. I wont be searching for stock for it since I’d have to go through the NFA to get it as an SBR. I still have it and it’s a nice conversational piece. I’ve put about 4 magazines through it so far, I doubt it will get much more put through it.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #10

Liked 57 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As an aside Simpson LTD in Galesburg, Illinois last year sold to of the Stoeger stainless Lugers for $1500 apiece. So it would seem there is a market for them. I had one years ago and it was a good shooter.