Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > original geco sportbuchse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default original geco sportbuchse

I cannot find any information on this gun.I know Geco makes ammunition.Belonged to my uncle(ww2 vet) who died,and it came to me...left side of barrel,kal.22 long rifle 5.4mm... on top of barrel ,in front of up to 200m elevated sights,Original Geco Sportbuchse Mod28...on top of receiver in front of breech there is a large circled g with eco in the top middle and an emblem in the lower middle...Has swivels and probably a 3/4" leather sling...Barrel is close to bull barrel proportions and fairly long...I can find NO SAFTEY on this gun.Calling All Pro's. ANY ideas??Pictures will be coming soon...Stock in great shape although it was shellacked .Gun is in very good-fine condition for its age.There are other markings with crowns and the letters *B*U...all help appreciated, Thanks Gator60

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It sound european, so the internet would be your best source for info. If it is an old .22 rifle, they were made a dime a dozen by numerous makers. Many produced millions and didn't even put a serial number on them. Some also didn't have safeties, like with yours.

We bought my nephew a cheap, old .22 single shot bolt action for $95 with some odd brand name and no serial number. No safety, but you load a single bullet, close the bolt, and don't pull back the cocking knob until you are READY to shoot. It shoots fine for a child's training rifle, but isn't worth much otherwise...

Old 11-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #3

Default Geco sportbuchse

It is definitly european,german or austrian.the size of the barrel and the long range sights give me thoughts of possible competition shooting.It can shoot extremely well.the only cocking of this gun is when you load it,there is no pull bolt for saftey.Almost all single shot .22's were inexpensive 70 years ago unless they were scrolled or have special custom work done from a fairly notorious gunsmith.this one is not one of those but it was very well made.Not a childs gun,to big.Will get pictures soon.Appreciate any input.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #4

Default Pictures- Geco Sportbuchse 28

Old 05-12-2009, 01:26 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Acquired Original Geco Sportbuchse Model 28 in Knoxville

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator60 View Post
I just bought a Model 28 in great shape from a local used gun shop. I researched the gun and am puzzled by the rear sight. It seems to require some type of key to elevate or adjust for windage. If your photos are still around, could you re-post a detail of the rear sight. I wonder if this Geco Original Sportbuchse Model 28 has been updated or pieced together? (Ramp sight on front appears to be removable.)

Old 06-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #6

Default Geco rifle

I think I own the exact same rifle except mine had a Mauser ladder rear sight installed. Mine is definitely pre WW2 and I was once told these rifles were used by the Hitler youth as training rifles. Unfortunately I could never verify this If there is anyone out there with knowledge of this I would appreciate it.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #7

Default GECO rifle

I too have the same rifle my Dad brought back from Germany in WWII, along with a Luger, Walther P38 and 8MM Mauser. The good old days of the spoils of war.
Nice accurate 22 bolt action. I had mine reblued and it looks brand new. Great as a starter gun for a teenager. Best way to learn how to shoot and hunt like a true sportsman.
Value wise probably not much worth much, but sentimental wise, there isnt enough money to buy these things when passed on from one gereration to the next.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator60 View Post
I cannot find any information on this gun.I know Geco makes ammunition.Belonged to my uncle(ww2 vet) who died,and it came to me...left side of barrel,kal.22 long rifle 5.4mm... on top of barrel ,in front of up to 200m elevated sights,Original Geco Sportbuchse Mod28...on top of receiver in front of breech there is a large circled g with eco in the top middle and an emblem in the lower middle...Has swivels and probably a 3/4" leather sling...Barrel is close to bull barrel proportions and fairly long...I can find NO SAFTEY on this gun.Calling All Pro's. ANY ideas??Pictures will be coming soon...Stock in great shape although it was shellacked .Gun is in very good-fine condition for its age.There are other markings with crowns and the letters *B*U...all help appreciated, Thanks Gator60

I have the same rifle and would like to find out where to get the original elevated sight. and how much this gun is worth.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #9

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 670

They were imported in the 1920's, early '30's. Very nice rifles. All should have the Mauser '98 type rear sight. They were made in Berlin.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:39 PM   #10

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 670

Quote:
Originally Posted by jromero38 View Post

I have the same rifle and would like to find out where to get the original elevated sight. and how much this gun is worth.
Without the raer sight and no info on weather it is drilled and tapped. $25.00

All original... what ever it will bring. Maybe 200.00

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.